Search Results for: waste
April 28, 2015
- Sustainability: Resource Innovation Campus | Video
- The Phoenix Public Works Department recently presented a plan to create and develop a Resource Innovation Campus at a city-owned vacant lot. The campus will be used to help develop and grow waste-to-new product industries. Public Works director John Trujillo and Community and Economic Development director Christine Mackay will discuss the project.
March 17, 2015
- Sustainability: Food Waste-to-Energy Study | Video
- The City of Tempe and ASU's Julie Ann Wrigley Global Institute of Sustainability are teaming up for a study that will analyze food waste, fats, oils and grease from large Tempe food industries, restaurants, and dining halls to determine the feasibility of turning this material into renewable energy. David McNeil, Tempe’s Environmental Services Manager, will tell us more.
November 25, 2014
- Arizona Education: Students Recycling Used Technology | Video
- Some Arizona students are keeping waste out of landfills while learning new skills and helping others. Hundreds of high school students are refurbishing computers for schools and charities. Meet the people behind Arizona StRUT (Students Recycling Used Technology). Tom Mehlert, Executive Director of StRUT, will tell us more about the program.
February 18, 2014
- Sustainability: Recovered Phosphorus | Video
- Phosphorus is a key ingredient in fertilizer used to grow our food, but the supply is finite and shortages could disrupt our food chain. Arizona State University professors James Elser and Bruce Rittmann have recommended a three-part solution to this looming crisis, which involves recovering phosphorus from agricultural and human waste. Elser and Rittman will discuss their proposal.
January 30, 2014
- Golf Course Design | Video
- With the 2014 Waste Management Phoenix Open golf tournament in full swing, we take a look at the art of golf course design with Forrest Richardson, a golf course architect.
December 17, 2013
- Sustainability: ASU Zero Waste | Video
- Arizona State University commits to minimizing waste through its Zero Waste Campus Initiative. The initiative covers both liquid and solid wastes. Nick Brown, director of university sustainability practices, will discuss the Zero Waste Campus Initiative.
November 26, 2013
- Sustainability: Landfill Gas Electricity | Video
- The Waste Management Northwest Regional Landfill is producing 3.2 Megawatts of electricity for APS. Located in Surprise, the facility is producing enough electricity from landfill gases to power 2,000 homes. Scott Bradley, Waste Management Four Corners Area Vice President, will discuss the power-producing landfill.
July 2, 2013
- AZ Giving & Leading: Waste Not | Video
- Waste Not is a Scottsdale-based organization that collects excess food from restaurants, resorts, caterers, grocers and others six days a week. That food, which would normally be tossed into the garbage, is taken to schools, daycare centers, senior facilities and other organizations to feed the hungry. Waste Not Executive Director Dee Mitten will tell us about her organization.
March 19, 2013
- Focus on Sustainability: Mesa Green Barrel Program | Video
- It’s time for spring yard work, and the city of Mesa has started a program to help residents dispose of yard waste. Mesa is the only city in Arizona that will offer a curbside barrel program for the weekly collection of green yard waste. The waste will be converted into mulch and compost. Mariano Reyes from the city of Mesa will discuss the program.
February 26, 2013
- Focus on Sustainability: Compressed Natural Gas Garbage Trucks | Video
- The city of Phoenix has unveiled its new compressed natural gas (CNG) solid waste trucks, which collect trash and recyclables for nearly 400,000 Phoenix households. Currently, the Public Works Department operates six CNG solid waste trucks and within two months, 20 percent of its fleet of solid waste trucks will be CNG vehicles. John Trujillo, Acting Director of the Phoenix Public Works Department, will tell us more about the CNG trucks.
January 31, 2013
- Arizona ArtBeat: Golf Course Design | Video
- With the 2013 Waste Management Phoenix Open golf tournament in full swing, we take a look at the art of golf course design with Forrest Richardson, a golf course architect.
March 27, 2012
February 2, 2012
- Arizona ArtBeat: Golf Course Design | Video
- Arizona ArtBeat: Golf Course Design
As top golfers on the PGA Tour tee it up at the 2012 Waste Management Phoenix Open, golf course architect Forrest Richardson discusses the art of golf course design.
January 12, 2012
- Storing Nuclear Waste to Fund Education | Video
- State Senator Al Melvin, Tucson Republican and Chair of the House Commerce and Energy Commission, explains his plan to raise money for public education by storing nuclear waste in Arizona.
December 14, 2010
- Focus on Sustainability: A HORIZON Special | Video
- Find out how Arizona can benefit from a green economy. We'll take a look at the latest strategies to promote clean energy innovation. And we'll show you how recycled waste water can help the state achieve a sustainable water future.
Made possible by ASU Global Institute of Sustainability.
August 11, 2008
- CFL Disposal | Video
- A program created by Waste Management will help you dispose of those CFL lightbulbs properly.