Search Results for: universities
March 10, 2015
- University Budget Cuts | Video
- The budget passed by state lawmakers contains a cut of nearly $100 million for universities and cuts all state funding for some community college districts. Patrick Morales, vice president of the Arizona Students’ Association, will talk about the cuts and how they might impact students.
July 16, 2014
- Arizona Technology and Innovation: ASU EcoCAR 3 | Video
- Arizona State University is among 16 universities chosen out of 100 applicants to be in the Advanced Vehicle Technology Competition EcoCar 3 program. It’s a four-year contest and students at the ASU Polytechnic campus in Mesa will work on transforming a Chevrolet Camaro to run on alternative fuels. Abdel Mayyas, the Lead Faculty Advisor for the ASU-EcoCAR 3 project, will discuss his group’s mission.
May 7, 2014
- State Funding for Universities | Video
- A new report by the Center on Budget and Policy Priorities reveals Arizona’s per-student rate of support for higher education dropped over 48 percent from 2008 to 2014. At the same time, tuition increased by about 80 percent. Arizona Board of Regents president Eileen Klein will discuss the situation.
November 14, 2013
- BioXFEL Center | Video
- Arizona State University is teaming up with seven other research universities to form a new Science and Technology Center that will use x-ray lasers to image bioparticles, make molecular movies and help design new drugs. The BioXFEL Center will be based at the University at Buffalo and will focus on developing a new bio-imaging technique to analyze molecules at which drug molecules can be targeted. Regents’ Professor of Physics at ASU John Spence will serve as the center’s director of science. He will talk about the BioXFEL Center.
November 13, 2013
- State-of-the-University | Video
- The Arizona Board of Regents is the governing board for Arizona’s three universities. Board President Eileen Klein will give a State-of-the-University address Wednesday, November 13, and will appear on Arizona Horizon to talk about the state of Arizona’s three universities.
December 3, 2012
- AZ Furnace – First 10 Startups | Video
- The first 10 startup companies have been selected to participate in the AZ Furnace Accelerator, an innovative initiative that encourages entrepreneurs to commercialize innovations developed at Arizona’s universities and research institutions. Gordon McConnell, Executive Director for Venture Acceleration at Arizona State University, talks about AZ Furnace’s first group of startups.
September 11, 2012
- AZ Furnace Program | Video
- Statewide business accelerator AZ Furnace is offering economic and various other incentives to encourage entrepreneurs to commercialize innovative technologies developed within Arizona’s universities and research institutions. Learn more about the program from Gordon McConnell, Vice President for Entrepreneurship and Innovation at ASU and Brian Sherman, Vice President of Business Development for the Arizona Commerce Authority.
August 20, 2012
- VOTE 2012: News21 Voting Rights Investigation | Video
- Student journalists from ASU andten other universities across the county spent months investigating voting rights as part ofthe national Carnegie-Knight News21 program. Their work included an exhaustive investigation into voter fraud, which has gained a great deal of national attention. Learn more about the News21 program, and its voting rights investigation, from Kristin Gilger, Associate Dean of ASU’s Cronkite School of Journalism and Mass Communication.
February 16, 2012
- Guns on Campus | Video
- ASU Chief of Police John Pickens shares his views on a bill that would require Arizona’s public universities to allow anyone who has a concealed-carry permit, and who’s at least 21 years old, to carry a gun on campus.
August 2, 2011
- New Fiesta Bowl CEO | Video
- Former UA President Robert Shelton talks about his new role as executive director of the Fiesta Bowl.
June 30, 2011
- Higher Education Funding | Video
- Incoming Chairman of the Arizona Board of Regents Fred DuVal talks about his priorities which include a one-year tuition freeze and predictable levels of state funding at Arizona’s public universities.
June 28, 2011
- Grand Canyon Institute | Video
- Board members of the new think tank explain how it’s nonpartisan, centrist approach to research and education will help guide Arizona’s economic future.
March 2, 2011
- Arizona Board of Regents | Video
- The Arizona Board of Regents oversees the state's universities. Hear what Regent leadership has to say about a bill to abolish the board.
January 20, 2011
- Proposed Budget Cuts to Higher Education | Video
- Governor Brewer's plans to deal with the huge budget shortfall includes substantial cuts to higher education. Chairman of the Arizona Board of Regents Anne Mariucci and Arizona State University President Michael Crow talk about the proposed cuts.
November 4, 2010
- For-profit Universities | Video
- Grand Canyon University’s Brian Mueller discusses the role and economic impact of Arizona’s private, for-profit institutions of higher education.
February 11, 2010
- The Great American University | Video
- Jonathan Cole, author of “The Great American University”, discusses how great American universities have transformed the Nation, why they’re under attack and what must be done to protect them.
July 1, 2009
- Lower-cost College Education | Video
- Arizona Board of Regents President Ernest Calderon discusses ideas for a cheaper alternative to the traditional four-year degree from one of Arizona’s three state universities.
April 9, 2009
- Arizona Budget Options | Video
- A team of experts in finance and public administration from Arizona’s universities have released a report of options to help erase Arizona’s $3 billion budget shortfall. A member of the Fiscal Alternatives Choices Team talks about some of the options included in the FACT report.
January 21, 2009
- University Presidents | Video
- Legislative leaders are recommending hundreds of millions of dollars in budget cuts for the state's three universities. Arizona State University President Michael Crow, University of Arizona President Robert Shelton and Northern Arizona University President John Haeger join Ted Simons to talk about the proposed funding cuts and what it would do to the future of the universities.
May 21, 2008
- University Stimulus Plan
- Arizona's universities are seeking a construction funding package of $1.4 billion from the state. Fred DuVal, an Arizona Board of Regents member, will tell us about the plan.
April 3, 2008
- LBT Telescope | Video
- The Large Binocular Telescope on Mount Graham in southeastern Arizona is the world�s largest telescope. Arizona universities own 25 percent of the telescope. The device is expected to provide images 10 times sharper than the Hubble Telescope. Richard Green of the University of Arizona will tell us more about it.
December 20, 2006
- NAU President John Haeger
- The president of Northern Arizona University discusses the new Arizona Universities Network that will allow students to enroll in online courses from any of the Arizona state universities. Through this consortium, students will have access to nearly 1,500 online classes.
August 3, 2005
- Arizona Education Report Card
- A report on some of the latest changes in Arizona's education system, from kindergarten through universities and charter schools.
April 20, 2005
- Arizona Education Report Card: Universities
- Continuing our education series, ASU, the City of Phoenix, working together on a 15,000 student campus for ASU in downtown Phoenix. That agreement that will make it possible is announced today. And another approach to preparing for future university growth, the Board of Regents project to redesign the university system.
April 19, 2005
- Arizona Education Report Card: Community Colleges
- Community colleges serve more students than the state's three public universities. But how will they keep up with a growing population? And should they be allowed to offer four-year degrees? We'll take a look at the role community colleges play and the challenges they face.