Search Results for: trees
April 15, 2014
- Forest Thinning Report | Video
- We tell you about a new report on forest thinning. The Nature Conservancy and Arizona State University have teamed up on the report that shows how to create a sustainable, economically viable method for thinning small diameter trees. Dan O’Neill, general manager of S-3, a consulting service offered by ASU’s Walton Sustainability Solutions Initiatives, and Patrick Graham, state director of the Nature Conservancy in Arizona, talk about the report.
February 13, 2014
- Pocket Parks | Video
- The owners of a Phoenix coffee shop turn to community members to help transform a vacant lot into a “pocket park." Co-owners Laryn Callaway and Christiaan Blok raised $23,000 to cover the landscaping costs, which include Chinese pistache trees, seating and a patch of lawn where they plan to offer Yoga and other classes. The couple hopes to collaborate with Arizona State University students to build a communal table and benches to promote more community gathering and an urban green space.
December 11, 2013
- ASU Edible Campus | Video
- You can get more than one kind of “date” attending Arizona State University. A group of volunteers grow and harvest many kinds of edibles on campus, including dates from palm trees. We’ll show you how many can benefit from a source a fresh food right on campus.
March 12, 2013
- Focus on Sustainability: New Tree Trail | Video
- A new tree trail program has been established in Glendale. The tree trail would promote programs to care for trees and give information about water conservation. Jo Miller of the Glendale Water Conservation Office will tell us more.
March 7, 2013
- Citrus Bug | Video
- There’s been a dramatic increase in western Arizona of a bug that can do tremendous damage to citrus trees. The Asian Citrus Psyllid carries greening disease, otherwise known as Huanglongbing. Once a tree is infected it will die. The disease could damage our state’s Citrus crop, one of the Five Cs that adds $37 million dollars a year to Arizona’s economy. John Caravett, a of the Arizona Department of Agriculture, will tell us more.
June 21, 2011
- Arizona Forest Restoration Products | Video
- Pascal Berlioux, the president and CEO of Arizona Forest Restoration Products, talks about his company’s business model that he says makes it profitable for companies to remove small diameter trees that clog Arizona’s forests creating a severe fire danger.
April 10, 2007
- Because of recent extreme changes in the weather, multiple trees and plants are pollinating at the same time this spring. This is fueling a nasty allergy season. We talk with Dr. Mark Schubert of the Allergy Asthma Clinic about how bad this season is and what people can do to help their allergy problems.