Search Results for: training
February 25, 2014
- Cactus League | Video
- Cactus League spring training games start February 26. Cactus League President Mark Coronado will preview the season, and talk about the history and impact of the league.
February 13, 2014
- New Cubs Stadium | Video
- The new Cubs Stadium for spring training officially opened yesterday. Mesa Mayor Scott Smith will talk about the new facility.
February 3, 2014
- CARE Team Report | Video
- The CARE Team, formed by Governor Jan Brewer to look into uninvestigated child abuse cases, has issued its report. The 50-page report reveals that understaffing and lack of training led to the uninvestigated cases. Charles Flanagan, director of the new Child Safety and Family Services agency and head of the CARE Team, will discuss the report.
June 17, 2013
- Arpaio Racial Profiling Update | Video
- A hearing was held Friday by a federal judge who ruled Maricopa County Sheriff Joe Arpaio’s office was racially profiling Latinos. At the hearing, lawyers who filed the racial profiling lawsuit were expected to ask for more training for officers, better record keeping for traffic stops and a monitor to make sure the racial profiling stops. Arizona Republic Reporter JJ Hensley will give us an update.
June 3, 2013
- AZ Giving & Leading: Kids at Hope | Video
- Kids at Hope is a Phoenix-based national organization that believes all children are capable of success and has programs to foster that success. The programs work through schools to support the success of kids. Kenna Hough, Executive Director of Training and Programs for Kids at Hope, will tell us more about the organization and its goals.
January 9, 2013
- Adult Education | Video
- The East Valley Institute of Technology’s career training programs aren’t just for high school students. They’re also for adults making a career change or wanting to acquire skills that will help them compete in today’s competitive job market. EVIT’s Adult Education Consultant and State Senator David Schapira talks about the state of adult education in Arizona.
August 6, 2012
- Luke Air Force Base & F-35 Pilot Training | Video
- The U.S. Department of Defense has selected Luke Air Force Base to train pilots to fly the F-35 fighter jet. Find out what that means for the West Valley Air Force base and surrounding communities from Glendale Mayor Elaine Scruggs; James "Rusty" Mitchell, Director of the Luke AFB Community Initiatives Team; and Ron Sites of Fighter Country Partnership.
July 11, 2012
May 24, 2012
April 3, 2012
- Arizona Diamondbacks New Season | Video
- Diamondbacks President and CEO Derrick Hall talks about the home team and their surprising success from last year, the high expectations for the upcoming season and the record-breaking numbers of last month's Spring Training.
March 1, 2012
- Cactus League History | Video
- Susie Steckner, author of the new book Cactus League: Spring Training, and Cactus League expert Rodney Johnson talk about the rich history of Arizona’s Cactus League.
February 28, 2012
- Fast Pitch Philanthropy | Video
- On March 6th Social Venture Partners is holding its "2nd Annual Fast Pitch Social Innovation Expo." It’s the culmination of a seven-week training and mentoring program for innovative nonprofits that are effecting social change. Finalists have three minutes to make a “pitch” that could earn their nonprofit $100,000 in funding. SVP Executive Director Terri Wogan talks about the program.
February 22, 2012
- AZ Technology and Innovation: The Science of Baseball | Video
- The Arizona SciTech Festival has over 250 events statewide. One upcoming event takes a look at the science of baseball. Arizona State University Psychology Professor Michael McBeath will talk about the SciTech event, “Spring Training Festival: The Mad Science of Baseball.”
February 14, 2011
- Arizona Diamondbacks | Video
- Arizona Diamondbacks President and CEO Derrick Hall talks about the team’s new spring training facility and hosting the All-Star game.
January 3, 2011
September 23, 2010
August 19, 2010
- Luke AFB and the F-35 | Video
- The U.S. Air Force has named Luke Air Force Base a preferred site for training pilots to fly the F-35. State Senator John Nelson and Charley Freericks of Fighter Country Partnership explain what it will take for Luke to land the F-35.
May 19, 2010
- Immigration Law Enforcement Guidelines | Video
- Lyle Mann, executive director of the Arizona Peace Officer Standards and Training Board (AZPOST), shares the proposed training guidelines to enforce Arizona’s new immigration law.
April 5, 2010
- Cactus League Recap and the Chicago Cubs | Video
- A recap of the 2010 Cactus League season and a look at efforts to come up with a plan to finance a new spring training facility for the Chicago Cubs. Guests include Cactus League President Robert Brinton and State Representative John McComish.
March 3, 2010
- How Governor Mofford Saved the Cactus League | Video
- Spring Training baseball is in full swing this month, and with half of Major League Baseball’s 30 teams, Arizona’s Cactus League is as strong as ever. But there was a time when Arizona might have lost the league if not for the actions of Governor Rose Mofford. Former Special Assistant to the Governor Geoffrey Gonsher and Cactus League historian Rodney Johnson tell us how Governor Mofford saved the Cactus League.
January 28, 2010
September 8, 2009
- Keeping the Cubs | Video
- The Chicago Cubs are a Cactus League favorite, and Mesa, Arizona has been the team’s spring training home for decades. Now, there are rumors the Cubs could go to another State in return for better training facilities. Mesa Mayor Scott Smith talks about efforts to keep the Chicago Cubs spring training home in Mesa.
March 19, 2009
February 25, 2009
- Goodyear Ballpark | Video
- There’s a new gem in the Arizona Cactus League. Take a tour of the new spring training home of the Cleveland Indians located in Goodyear, Arizona.
November 18, 2008
July 23, 2008
- Teach for America | Video
- More than 600 recent college graduates � with plans to become everything from doctors to lawyers to engineers to architects � were in Phoenix this summer preparing to put their careers on hold in order to teach at economically disadvantaged schools for two years. It was all part of Teach for America's first training institute held in Phoenix. We�ll take a look at this rigorous five-week training program and Teach for America's efforts to improve public education.
July 12, 2007
- Teacher Space Camp
- A space camp for teachers was held in Huntsville, Alabama recently. The Honeywell-sponsored camp exposes teachers to astronaut training and teaches them lessons that they take back to the classroom. Phoenix teacher Lynn Pinda will talk about her experience at space camp.
May 28, 2007
- Falcon Field
- A look at the annual ceremony at Mesa Cemetery to honor those who died at Falcon Field while training to be pilots.
December 13, 2006
- Goodyear Baseball
- The city of Goodyear hopes to host the future spring training grounds for the Cleveland Indians. Goodyear is making its bid to the Arizona Sports and Tourism Authority for funding for part of the construction cost of the $118-million dollar stadium complex. Goodyear Mayor Jim Cavanaugh joins Horizon to talk about the details.
November 30, 2006
- Cactus League Shakeup
- HORIZON brings you an update on the possible shifting of the spring training homes of several Major League baseball teams, including the move of the Los Angeles Dodgers from Florida to Glendale and a possible move of the Chicago White Sox from Tucson to the Valley. We talk with Glendale Mayor Elaine Scruggs.
July 14, 2005
- Teacher's Space Lab
- Fifteen Arizona teachers are among 144 math and science teachers from around the world who will take part in the Honeywell Educators at Space Academy being held at the U.S. Space and Rocket Center in Huntsville, Alabama. Mike Evans, a science teacher at Queen of Peace Catholic School in Mesa, and Christopher Sheehan, a science teacher from Madison Park School in Phoenix, will explain how their space camp training will benefit their work in the classroom.
May 30, 2005
- special Memorial Day edition
- Three stories that honor the memory of those who have given their lives in the service of their country - a medal of honor recipient, Jose Jimenez, Michael Williams who gave his life saving others in the Iraq wars, and veterans of Falcon Field return every year to honor those who fell while training in the second world war.