Search Results for: taxpayers
April 2, 2014
- Charles Keating | Video
- Charles Keating was a man who exemplified how money could influence politics. Keating has died in Phoenix at age 90. His association and political contributions to the so-called “Keating Five,” a group of lawmakers that included then Arizona Congressmen John McCain and Dennis DeConcini, helped him get favorable treatment from regulators. Keating’s Lincoln Savings and Loans collapsed, leaving many with worthless investments and costing taxpayers billions of dollars. Michael Manning was the lead counsel for the FDIC in prosecuting Keating, and will look back on his role.
October 23, 2013
- School Overrides | Video
- More than 30 school districts in Maricopa County will turn to voters this year in school override elections which, if approved, allow schools to override their budget. Some district officials say they need money from local taxpayers to make up for cuts in state funding. Scottsdale Superintendent David Peterson and John Fischer, executive director of Stand for Children in Arizona, will discuss overrides and the reasons schools seek them.
September 1, 2011
- Arizona Tax Recovery | Video
- The Arizona Department of Revenue is giving taxpayers an opportunity pay back taxes owed to the State without penalty from September 1 through October 1, 2011. ADOR spokesman Anthony Forschino explains the Tax Recovery Program.
December 13, 2010
- Tax Credits | Video
- As the end of the year approaches, time is running out to make a charitable contribution that will count as a tax credit on your 2011 tax return. Enrolled Agent Ellen Campbell talks about some of the tax credits available to Arizona taxpayers.
November 1, 2010
- U.S. Supreme Court: Arizona Tuition Tax Credits | Video
- Wednesday, November 3rd, the U.S. Supreme Court will hear Arizona Christian School Tuition Organization v. Winn. Goldwater Institute attorney Clint Bolick and Chris Thomas, an attorney for the Arizona School Boards Association, explain the legal arguments in this case that challenges the constitutionality of an Arizona law that provides tax credits to taxpayers who donate money to school tuition organizations (STOs).
August 24, 2010
- Federal Tax Changes | Video
- A new report from the non-partisan Institute on Taxation and Economic Policy says federal tax changes have made itemized deductions more unfair to low-income taxpayers and more costly for government. Dana Naimark of the Children’s Action Alliance and Kevin McCarty of the Arizona Tax Research Association discuss the report.
September 13, 2006
- Proposition 203
- A look at a proposition created to fund a childhood development and health program. Is Proposition 203 reasonable for taxpayers and smokers? A proponent and opponent will help us understand the measure and examine its pros and con.
June 21, 2005
- Arizona's Border Crisis: A HORIZON Specia
- How much does illegal immigration cost Arizonans? Costs associated with illegal immigration include health care, criminal justice and education. Horizon examines the various ways illegal immigrants benefit consumers, but cost taxpayers.