Search Results for: signatures
July 9, 2013
- Voting Laws Referendum | Video
- A referendum has been filed to try and overturn new voter laws approved by the state legislature. The Protect Your Right to Vote Committee has until September 12 to collect 86,405 valid signatures to put the laws on hold until the November 2014 general election. The new laws make it much tougher for third parties to get on the ballot, will tighten up rules on early voter lists and will make it harder for someone else to take your ballot to a polling place. Barry Hess of the Libertarian Party and former gubernatorial candidate will discuss the referendum on new voter laws, along with Tim Sifert of the Arizona Republican Party.
March 13, 2013
- Sheriff Arpaio Recall Update | Video
- A group trying to recall Maricopa County Sheriff Joe Arpaio has gathered 120,000 signatures, so far. The group, Respect Arizona, needs to gather 335,000 valid signatures by May 30 to get the recall on the ballot. Arizona Republic columnist Laurie Roberts will talk about the effort.
August 23, 2012
- Voter Initiative Short on Valid Signatures | Video
- The “Top Two Primary” initiative designed to change how Arizona’s primary elections are conducted might not make it to the ballot after the Maricopa County Elections Department found a high percentage of petition signatures are invalid. County Elections Director Karen Osborne explains what her department found during the signature verification process.
- Voter Initiative Short on Valid Signatures – Part 2 | Video
- Joe Yuhas, a spokesman for the Open Elections, Open Government campaign, the group backing the “Top Two Primary” initiative, talks about the County’s findings and the possibility of a legal challenge.
July 18, 2012
- Sales Tax Extension | Video
- Arizona Secretary of State Ken Bennett rejected petition signatures for the Quality Education and Jobs Initiative, which would extend a one-cent state sales tax. Bennett said wording on petition sheets didn’t match what was given to his office electronically. A court hearing will be held on the rejection of the signatures. Mary Jo Pitzl of the Arizona Republic will tell us what the court decides.
May 16, 2012
- South Mountain Freeway/Gila River Indian Community | Video
- Gila River Indian Community members voted down a plan to put the South Mountain (Loop 202) freeway expansion on the reservation. Now, a group of Gila River residents are collecting signatures to try to force another vote. Joseph Perez and Nathaniel Percharo explain why the want a new election.
July 11, 2011
- Senate President Russell Pearce Recall | Video
- A citizens group has submitted enough valid signatures to force Senator Russell Pearce into a recall election. Find out what the next steps are with State Election Director Amy Bjelland.
May 31, 2011
- Senator Russell Pearce Recall | Video
- “Citizens for a Better Arizona” has filed more than 18-thousand petition signatures in an attempt to force a recall election for State Senate President Russell Pearce. The group’s leader, Randy Parraz, discusses the campaign.
August 30, 2006
- Protect Our City
- A group that wants to require Phoenix police officers and other city employees to enforce federal immigration laws has collected enough signatures to put the measure to a public vote. Randy Pullen, chairman of Protect Our City and Jake Jacobsen, president of the Phoenix Law Enforcement Association weigh in on the issue.