Search Results for: seniors
April 22, 2015
- Experience Corps | Video
- Thousands of experienced adults across the country are working to make a difference in their communities through the AARP Experience Corps program. Tempe’s AARP Experience Corps Volunteer Information Session will be held Thursday, May 7. We’ll show you how the program that pairs children with seniors is paying off in the classroom.
April 28, 2014
- Experience Corps | Video
- A volunteer program that pairs children with seniors is paying off in the classroom. Find out more about the Experience Corps program, where seniors help children with their reading.
February 29, 2012
- Poverty in Arizona | Video
- ASU economist Tom Rex discusses his new report that shows Arizona poverty rates are higher than the national rates for all demographic groups except seniors.
February 21, 2012
- Municipal Aging Services Project | Video
- The Valley’s 65 and over population is expected to double in size by the end of this decade. Find out what “MAG”, the Maricopa Association of Governments, is doing to help local governments determine how to best serve this growing population. Guests include MAG Human Services and Special Projects Manager Amy St. Peter, Carol Kratz of Piper Trust, and Michelle Dinisio, the President and CEO of Benevilla, a nonprofit that provides services to seniors.
May 30, 2011
- Memorial Day Special | Video
- Visit the Arizona Military Museum, learn about a day resource center for homeless seniors that helps a large percentage of veterans, and meet Korean War POW Arden Rowley.
April 13, 2011
- Technology and Innovation: Intel Science Talent Search | Video
- Some of the nation’s most promising high school seniors in math and science were recently honored at the 2011 Intel Science Talent Search. Meet a Chandler student who finished in the top 10. And learn about Intel’s efforts to encourage kids to pursue careers in math and science.
November 24, 2010
- Medicare Payments | Video
- AARP wants Congress to stop a cut in Medicare payments to doctors from taking effect at the end of the year. The organization says a 25% cut in reimbursement rates could make it difficult for seniors to find doctors willing to see Medicare patients. David Mitchell, AARP Arizona State Director, and Dr. Zuhdi Jasser, Arizona Medical Association, discuss the issue.
May 3, 2006
- Medicare Deadline
- The deadline for enrollment in new Medicare drug plans is May 15th. In a special edition of HORIZON, find out what seniors need to do if they haven't yet enrolled.
April 11, 2006
- AIMS Update
- This is the first year that high school seniors must pass the AIMS test to graduate. Arizona Superintendent of Public Instruction Tom Horne will give us an update. He will talk about his successful appeal to a lawsuit that exempted English learners from taking the AIMS test. Tim Hogan of the Arizona Center for Law in the Public interest, who filed the lawsuit, will be on to give the other side.
March 10, 2006
- Education legislation
- A proposed bill would allow high school seniors to earn more bonus points for good grades on core classes and electives.
February 15, 2006
- Phoenix Bond 101
- HORIZON examines
Proposition 6 - For housing that is affordable to families and seniors and revitalizing neighborhoods.
And Proposition 7 - For sewer and other infrastructure improvements.
Find out more, visit the companion Web site.