Search Results for: rural
June 13, 2013
- Rural Schools Survey | Video
- More than 3,000 rural superintendents, principals and teachers were asked in a survey what rural schools need to teach math and science by the Arizona Department of Education. Science Foundation Arizona Chief Operating Officer Margaret Mullen will discuss the results of that survey.
March 5, 2013
- Guns in Schools | Video
- State Senator Rich Crandall has proposed a bill to allow rural teachers or administrators who meet certain requirements to carry concealed firearms, if approved by the school’s governing board. Senator Crandall and Senator Leah Landrum Taylor will discuss the pros and cons of the measure.
July 16, 2012
- Giving and Leading: Arizona Rural Development Council | Video
- Eddie Browning, Executive Director of the Arizona Rural Development Council (AZRDC)explains how his statewide non-profit organization is building partnerships with the public and private sectors for the benefit of rural Arizona.
May 9, 2012
- Stroke Awareness | Video
- Strokes are one of the leading causes of death and disability. Dr. Dan Capampangan of the Mayo Clinic explains how to recognize and respond to symptoms of stroke and how the Mayo Clinic is using robots to help stroke patients in rural Arizona .
September 7, 2011
- Grand Canyon Musical Festival | Video
- Now in its 28th season, the Grand Canyon Music Festival some of the world’s finest musicians as well as music education and outreach programs in rural Arizona. Dorothy Lawson and Cornelius Duffalo of the string quartet ETHEL talk about their music and their work with Native American composers through one of the festival’s outreach programs.
August 22, 2011
- Rural Energy | Video
- The Obama Administration will be giving grants to help small businesses, ranchers and farmers in Arizona install renewable energy systems or make energy efficient improvements. Ten Arizona rural businesses will be given the Rural Energy for America Program grants. Arizona State Director for Rural Development Alan Stephens will discuss the grants.
August 1, 2011
- Rural Health Conference | Video
- A preview of the 38th annual Rural Health Conference sponsored by the University of Arizona’s Rural Health Office. UA Professor Lynda Bergsma, Director of the State Office of Rural Health and Jim Dickson, the CEO at Copper Queen Community Hospital talk about health issues pertaining to rural Arizona.
May 20, 2010
- AZ Town Hall - Jobs and the Economy | Video
- Just days before members of the 96th Arizona Town Hall met in Tucson to develop ideas for growing jobs and improving Arizona’s economy, Governor Jan Brewer signed Senate Bill 1070 into law. Amid the ensuing drama and debate surrounding Arizona’s tough new immigration law, town hall participants drafted a report of recommendations for building a more economically stable Arizona. Find out what the recommendations say about immigration and the challenges facing rural Arizona. Guests include the following Arizona Town Hall participants: Mignonne Hollis, director of the Small Business Development Center for Cochise County in Sierra Vista; Andy Groseta, a rancher from Cottonwood; and Wayne Benesch a Yuma attorney.
July 25, 2005
- Arizona Stories: Luhrs Family
- A profile of one of the state's pioneer families that helped changed rural Phoenix into the urban landscape that it is today.
May 25, 2005
- Fire, part three of four
- Current brush fire conditions in Arizona's desert wildland areas, coupled with the homes and businesses there, could converge into a perfect storm of wildfires this season.
- Arizona Desert Wildland & Urban Interface
- The fire danger in our state's forest wildland-urban interface areas is high. What communities and individuals can do to prepare.