Search Results for: roads
August 20, 2013
- Focus on Sustainability: Urban Heat Island Mitigation | Video
- Buildings, roads, parking lots and other man-made structures have caused the average nighttime temperatures in the Phoenix Area to increase dramatically. Mick Dalrymple, Arizona State University’s Energize Phoenix Project Manager, has a plan to reduce nighttime temperatures by one degree. Dalrymple will discuss his plans.
August 15, 2013
- Arizona Roads and Bridges | Video
- According to a new report, Arizona was sixth in the nation for the number of roads in good condition. The state also tied for the third-lowest number of bridges that are structurally deficient. Only three percent of bridges were not up to standards in 2011, and 57 percent of the state’s roadways were in good condition. Robert Samour, ADOT’s Senior Deputy State Engineer of Operations, will talk about roads and bridges and the funding needed to keep them in good shape.
April 18, 2013
- Toll Roads | Video
- A transportation panel of the Maricopa Association of Government voted to move ahead with a study on how to make toll roads work in the Valley. Arizona Republic reporter Sean Holstege will talk about the issue.
June 16, 2009
- Development Impact Fees | Video
- Avondale City Manager Charlie McClendon and Spencer Kamps of the Homebuilders Association of Central Arizona debate the merits of development impact fees. The legislature is currently considering placing a moratorium on impact fees that cities charge homebuilders to help pay for roads, sewers and other public infrastructure related to growth.
August 12, 2008
- small Town Challenges: Transportation | Video
- How do small towns handle the challenge of improving roads while maintaining their charm? The town of Sedona is working on doing just that with a huge transportation project through town. We talk with the Arizona Department of Transportation about different projects around the state.
March 25, 2008
- Toll Roads | Video
- A bill that would allow three Arizona counties to set up toll road authorities is making its way through the state Legislature. The bill would also allow the counties to enter contracts with private companies to build toll roads. HORIZON will discuss the pros and cons of the bill.