Search Results for: racial
October 3, 2013
- Arpaio Monitor | Video
- A federal judge has appointed a monitor to the Maricopa County Sheriff's Office to watch progress on efforts by the department to stop racial profiling. The judge also issued other orders for the department. Former Arizona U.S. Attorney Paul Charlton will discuss the case.
August 20, 2013
- MCSO Racial Profiling | Video
- Maricopa County Sheriff Joe Arpaio has refused to have a monitor watch his department after a judge rules that the sheriff’s office engaged in racial profiling. Negotiations continue on that issue. Arizona Republic reporter JJ Hensley brings us up to date.
June 17, 2013
- Arpaio Racial Profiling Update | Video
- A hearing was held Friday by a federal judge who ruled Maricopa County Sheriff Joe Arpaio’s office was racially profiling Latinos. At the hearing, lawyers who filed the racial profiling lawsuit were expected to ask for more training for officers, better record keeping for traffic stops and a monitor to make sure the racial profiling stops. Arizona Republic Reporter JJ Hensley will give us an update.
May 28, 2013
- Arpaio Racial Profiling | Video
- A federal judge ruled that Maricopa County Sheriff Joe Arpaio’s office engaged in racial profiling. He also ordered the sheriff’s office to stop the practice. JJ Hensley has been covering the story for the Arizona Republic and will tell us more.
August 2, 2012
- MCSO Racial Profiling Trial | Video
- Testimony ended today at the federal trial accusing the Maricopa County Sheriff’s Office of racial profiling. Arizona Republic reporter JJ Hensley and Scott Halverson, a defense and civil rights attorney, offer their observations of the trial and lawsuit, which they have been following closely.
July 18, 2012
- Racial Profiling Lawsuit | Video
- JJ Hensley of the Arizona Republic provides an overview of the racial profiling lawsuit against the Maricopa County Sheriff’s Office that goes to trial Thursday, July 19th.
April 4, 2012
- Sheriff Arpaio & U.S. Justice Department | Video
- Talks between the Maricopa County Sheriff’s Office and the U.S. Department of Justice broke-down this week as they were trying to resolve a dispute over Justice Department allegations that the Sheriff’s Office engaged in a pattern of racial profiling. Arizona Republic reporter JJ Hensley provides details of the story.
December 15, 2011
- Maricopa County Sheriff’s Office Investigation | Video
- The U.S. Department of Justice has accused the Maricopa County Sheriff’s Office of engaging in a pattern of unconstitutional policing, including racial profiling. Those are some of the findings from the Justice Department’s ongoing civil rights investigation of the agency led by Sheriff Joe Arpaio. Former U.S. Attorney for the District of Arizona, Paul Charlton, provides his perspective on this story.
July 22, 2008
- Arpaio Lawsuit | Video
- Sheriff Joe Arpaio is facing a lawsuit over racial profiling of Latinos during his immigration sweeps in Maricopa County. Alessandra Soler Meetze of the ACLU of Arizona joins Horizon to talk about the lawsuit.
November 6, 2007
- Racial Preferences Initiative
- A group called the Arizona Civil Rights Initiative has filed to circulate petitions for an initiative that would eliminate race and gender preferences in state hiring, contracting and university admissions. Max McPhail, Executive Director of the group, will be on Horizon to explain the initiative.
July 30, 2007
- Immigration Hotline
- Maricopa County Sheriff Joe Arpaio has set up a hotline for people to report information regarding undocumented immigrants. Critics say it promotes racial profiling. HORIZON talks to Arpaio about the hotline, and speaks with State Representative Ben Miranda, a critic of the hotline.