Search Results for: poverty
March 21, 2013
- Arizona Poverty | Video
- Arizona has a higher rate of poverty and income inequality than most other states. Steve Seleznow, President & CEO of the Arizona Community Foundation, will discuss Arizona poverty.
July 9, 2012
- Medicaid Expansion | Video
- Arizona has to decide if it will expand Medicaid eligibility to Arizonans with incomes up to 133 percent of the federal poverty level. We’ll take a look at the costs and benefits of participating in this voluntary portion of the Affordable Care Act.
February 29, 2012
- Poverty in Arizona | Video
- ASU economist Tom Rex discusses his new report that shows Arizona poverty rates are higher than the national rates for all demographic groups except seniors.
September 1, 2009
- Kidscare Parents | Video
- At the end of September, thousands of working Arizonans will lose their health insurance. That’s because lawmakers did not reauthorize funding for KidsCare Parents, a low-cost health insurance program for working parents whose income is below 200% of the federal poverty level. Dana Wolfe Naimark of Children’s Action Alliance and Brenda Cardenas of Healthcare Connect talk about the limited options available to these families.
September 19, 2006
- IFESH 25th Anniversary
- The International Foundation for Education and Self-Help (IFESH), based in Scottsdale, was founded twenty-five years ago by the Reverend Leon H. Sullivan, a visionary leader and Baptist minister. The organization helps Africans reduce hunger and poverty, empower local communities, raise the standard of literacy and foster cultural, social and economic relations between Americans and Africans. IFESH is gearing up for a 25th anniversary celebration on September 25 with speakers and a workshop on Corporate Social Responsibility: Advancing Education in Africa through Public & Private Partnerships. Dr. Julie Sullivan, President and CEO of IFESH, joins HORIZON.
November 14, 2005
- National Hunger and Homelessness Week
- You might be shocked to find out what happened when Phoenix City Councilman Greg Stanton posed as a homeless person to try and better understand the plight of homelessness in the Valley. HORIZON marks National Hunger and Homelessness Week with a series of conversations with Stanton, Ginny Hildebrand, Executive Director of The Association of Arizona Food Banks and Bob Evans, Executive Director of United Food Bank about what we can all do to stem the tide of poverty and homelessness in our city.