Search Results for: patients
August 12, 2013
- Beatitudes Dementia Care | Video
- A long-term care community in Arizona is receiving national recognition for its best practices in dementia care. Beatitudes Campus has created replicable ways to decrease drugs prescribed, eliminate physical restraints, stop adult diaper usage and increase the comfort of patients. Arizona Horizon visited the Beatitudes Campus to see the ground-breaking principles in use.
June 24, 2013
- Health Care Study | Video
- The University of Arizona Integrative Health Center in Phoenix is undertaking a new study to determine the effectiveness of a whole-person approach to health care. The three-year Integrative Medicine Primary Care Trial (IMPACT) will compare outcomes for patients treated using integrative care with patients treated using solely conventional medical care. Dr. Heidi Rula, medical director for the U of A Integrative Health Center, will discuss the study.
June 3, 2013
- AZ Hospital Compare | Video
- The Arizona Department of Health Services is launching AZ Hospital Compare, an online searchable database to help consumers make educated decisions about their healthcare. The new website will allow patients and their families to explore the care, costs and charges of Arizonaâ€™s licensed hospitals. Donna Courtney of the department of health services will talk about the system.
October 15, 2012
- Mayo Clinic Telestroke Program | Video
- A recent agreement between Tuba City Regional Health Care and Mayo Clinic in Arizona will bring state-of-the-art stroke care to Navajo and Hopi patients through telemedicine. Dr. Bert Vargas, a Mayo Clinic telestroke neurologist, will talk about the new program, set to start in November.
May 9, 2012
- Stroke Awareness | Video
- Strokes are one of the leading causes of death and disability. Dr. Dan Capampangan of the Mayo Clinic explains how to recognize and respond to symptoms of stroke and how the Mayo Clinic is using robots to help stroke patients in rural Arizona .
November 24, 2010
- Medicare Payments | Video
- AARP wants Congress to stop a cut in Medicare payments to doctors from taking effect at the end of the year. The organization says a 25% cut in reimbursement rates could make it difficult for seniors to find doctors willing to see Medicare patients. David Mitchell, AARP Arizona State Director, and Dr. Zuhdi Jasser, Arizona Medical Association, discuss the issue.
August 30, 2010
- Prop 203: Medical Marijuana | Video
- Voters will be deciding on a medical marijuana initiative this November. Proposition 203 would protect terminally or seriously ill patients from state prosecution for using limited amounts of marijuana on a doctorâ€™s recommendation. The proposition contains many other provisions to regulate medical marijuana. Paul Charlton of Keep Arizona Drug Free and Joe Yuhas of the Arizona Medical Marijuana Policy Project will discuss the pros and cons of proposition 203.
July 15, 2008
- Artificial Cervical Disc | Video
- An amazing new implant gives patients relief from degenerative disc disease. We take you through one Valley woman's surgery and recovery.
November 7, 2006
- Alzheimer's Awareness
- November is Alzheimer's Awareness Month. It is marked by events around the Valley and the state including the opening of the new Banner Alzheimer's Institute. The Institute staffed by world-class researchers and physicians who provide compassionate care to patients and their families and caregivers, while also finding treatment and prevention therapies for those afflicted with the disease. Dr. Pierre Tariot, Banner Alzheimer's Institute's Associate Director and Director of its Memory Disorders Clinic joins Horizon in the studio.
October 11, 2006
- Remaking American Medicine
- Thousands of Americans die in hospitals each year of preventable medical errors and one million more are injured. The nationally aired 4-part PBS program “Remaking American Medicine” examines critical health care issues facing Americans today including patient safety, medical and medication errors and hospital-acquired infections. The series also explores innovative solutions undertaken by providers, patients and their families to transform the care provided by the health care institutions on which we all depend. Arizona Medial Association President Dr. M. Zuhdi Jasser and Maureen Dicker, Patient Safety Officer, Veterans Integrated Service Network, join Michael Grant to talk about these efforts.