Search Results for: overturn
March 5, 2013
- Voting Rights Case | Video
- The United States Supreme Court has heard oral arguments on an Alabama case that could overturn a key provision of the 1965 voting rights act. Civil rights advocates have called that provision the “hammer” and “heart” of federal efforts to protect minority voting rights. Arizona State University Law Professor Paul Bender will tell us more about the case.
June 4, 2012
- SB 1070 lawsuit | Video
- A hearing was held in another lawsuit looking to overturn the state’s immigration law, SB 1070. It’s a separate case from the one being considered by the U.S. Supreme Court right now. Plaintiffs in the case are asking a federal judge in Phoenix to grant them class action status in fighting the law. Dan Pochoda, Legal Director for the ACLU of Arizona, discusses the case on Arizona Horizon.
May 26, 2010
- Clean Elections Ruling | Video
- The Federal Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals recently ruled in favor of Arizona's law for publicly funded elections, known as Clean Elections. The Goldwater Institute is asking a U.S. Supreme Court Justice for help to overturn the federal court's decision. Nick Dranias from the Goldwater Institute talks about the ruling.