Search Results for: maps
April 14, 2014
- MAG Demographic Map Viewer | Video
- The Maricopa Association of Governments has created several interactive maps that give a variety of key information for the Phoenix Metro area. Businesses and other groups can search individual areas to get information on land use, population density, percentage of minority groups, bikeways and much more. Anubhav Bagley, MAG Information Services Manager, will walk us through the map viewer.
July 8, 2013
- Impact of Voting Rights Ruling | Video
- The United States Supreme Court ruled against a key part of the Voting Rights Act of 1965. That provision required some states, including Arizona, to get pre-clearance from the federal government for changes in election laws. The Arizona Independent Redistricting Commission draws maps for congressional and legislative districts. Joe Kanefield, an attorney for the commission, will talk about the impact of the ruling on the commission.
February 6, 2012
- Alternate Redistricting Maps | Video
- Not satisfied with the new political boundaries drawn by the Independent Redistricting Commission, House Speaker Andy Tobin has drawn his own congressional and legislative district maps that he wants voters to have an opportunity to approve. Speaker Tobin will speak about his alternative to the IRC maps.
January 31, 2012
August 24, 2011
- Arizona Redistricting | Video
- The Arizona Independent Redistricting Commission is in the process of redrawing legislative district maps. The process is supposed to circumvent politics, but it has not done that. Arizona State University political science professor Jennifer Steen will talk about the process.
April 9, 2008
May 30, 2007
- Earth Fissures
- The Arizona Geological Survey (AZGS) is working on the first comprehensive maps of earth fissures in Arizona. These tension cracks in the earth occur when groundwater is extracted faster than it’s replenished. The survey director talks about the mapping project and some of the problems caused by earth fissures.
Arizona Geological Survey Web site
October 19, 2005
- Redistricting ruling
- Arizona's congressional district map has been upheld by a state appellate court, but the same court ordered a trial judge to reconsider whether Arizona's legislative district map is constitutional. Howard Fischer of Capitol Media Services will explain the ruling and what's next for the maps.