Search Results for: lands
February 12, 2013
- Focus on Sustainability: Maricopa Solar Power Plant | Video
- A hearing was held recently on a proposed 300-megawatt solar power plant in Maricopa. The Maricopa Solar Park Project would be built on public lands managed by the Bureau of Land Management. BLM Arizona representative Dennis Godfrey will discuss the idea.
November 28, 2012
- Solar Energy Conference | Video
- Leaders in Solar Energy are meeting in Phoenix this week for the Solarpraxis PV Power Plants Conference. Greg Watkins, the President of TAWA Power, a California-based Native American-owned renewable energy company, comments on the conference and renewable energy opportunities & challenges on Arizona’s tribal lands.
October 3, 2012
- Vote 2012: Debate - Prop 120 (State Sovereignty) | Video
- Proposition 120 was placed on the ballot by the state legislature to give the state exclusive control over public lands, air, water, minerals and wildlife in Arizona. Those for the measure say it's an important step in asserting states' rights. Opponents say the state cannot afford to manage the lands, and also say it is unconstitutional. Supporters and opponents debate the merits of the proposition.
October 2, 2012
- Vote 2012: Prop 119 (State Trust Lands) | Video
- Proposition 119 would amend the constitution to allow Arizona to trade state trust land, with various limitations, for other public land. Learn more about this measure, which faces no organized opposition.
September 26, 2012
- Arizona’s Public Lands | Video
- Dean Bibles of the Public Lands Foundation, BLM State Director for Arizona Ray Suazo, and ASU West History Professor Dr. Eduardo Pagan, discuss the history, purpose, and evolving role of Arizona’s public lands. The discussion is a preview of some of the topics that will be discussed at the Public Lands Commemoration Forum that takes place September 27th in Phoenix.
August 6, 2012
- “Curiosity” Lands on Mars | Video
- On Sunday, August 5th, NASA successfully landed the rover “Curiosity” on the surface of Mars. Find out more about the NASA Mars Science Laboratory Mission, and ASU’s involvement in it, from ASU School of Earth and Space Exploration Director Kip Hodges
April 25, 2011
- Economic Future of Indian Lands | Video
- ASU’s Sandra Day O’Connor College of Law is hosting a conference that examines issues of economic development on Indian lands. Carl Artman, director of the College of Law’s Tribal Economic Development Program, and Diane Enos, president of the Salt River Pima Maricopa Indian Community, discuss some of the issues that impact tribal land management and strategic development.
February 28, 2011
- Solar Development on BLM Land in Arizona | Video
- Eddie Arreola, Supervisory Project-Manager for the Bureau of Land Management, Arizona’s renewable energy coordinating office, talks about the various proposals being considered for managing the development of utility-scale solar power plants on BLM lands.
September 16, 2010
October 29, 2009
- State Land Department Self-funding Challenge | Video
- The State Land Department sells and leases State Trust Lands to raise money for public schools. Now, a new state law allows the Department to keep up to ten percent of those earnings to manage those lands. That’s illegal, according to the Arizona Center for Law in the Public Interest which is asking the Attorney General to stop those payments from continuing. Hear from former State Land Commissioner Mark Winkleman who helped establish the law and Arizona Education Association President John Wright who is supporting the legal challenge.
July 25, 2005
- Land Initiative
- HORIZON examines the Arizona State Land Conservation Initiative voters will be asked to consider on the general election ballot next year. Arizona Education Association President John Wright and Andy Laurenzi, the Sonoran Institute's State Trust Lands Program Director will discuss the details.