Search Results for: homeless
November 5, 2014
- Arizona Giving and Leading: Experience Matters | Video
- Experience Matters is a Phoenix organization that connects retired adults with non-profit groups that can benefit from their talents. Experience Matters CEO Nora Hannah will talk about what Experience Matters has to offer.
June 11, 2014
- AZ Giving and Leading: Summer Food Needs | Video
- During the summer months, the need for emergency food supplies is affected by kids being out of school. St. Vincent de Paul has come up with a way to help the thousands of struggling families and the homeless. The campaign is called "Be a Summer Action Hero" and the effort encourages people to donate food and money to help St. Vincent de Paul. Shannon Clancy, development director for St. Vincent de Paul, and Beverly Damore, President and CEO of St. Mary’s Food Bank, will discuss efforts to keep people fed during the summer months.
May 1, 2014
- Sustainability: Solar Installation | Video
- A solar installation at the Phoenix Dream Center, an organization that provides help to the homeless, is the first phase in getting the charity off the grid. We take a look at the solar panel installation that will save the center over $100,000 in utility costs annually.
February 4, 2013
- Circle the City Medical Respite Center | Video
- Circle the City Medical Respite Center is a place where the homeless in Phoenix can go to recover following treatment at a hospital instead of having to recover on the streets. The visionary behind the center, Sister Adele O’Sullivan, and Marisue Garganta, the director of Health Integration for St. Joseph’s Hospital and Medical Center, will discuss Circle the City.
December 13, 2012
- Arizona ArtBeat: Street Gems of Arizona | Video
- Valley artist Ann Morton talks about Street Gems of Arizona, a program sponsored by ASU’s Lodestar Center for Philanthropy and Nonprofit Innovation, that gives homeless people an opportunity to earn money while creating art with found objects and recycled materials.
October 29, 2012
May 30, 2011
- Memorial Day Special | Video
- Visit the Arizona Military Museum, learn about a day resource center for homeless seniors that helps a large percentage of veterans, and meet Korean War POW Arden Rowley.
May 18, 2011
- Justa Center | Video
- Homeless senior citizens find help daily at the Justa Center in downtown Phoenix. Executive Director of the Nonprofit Day Resource Center, Rev. Scott Ritchey, describes the Center’s unique mission and the challenges it faces.
March 28, 2011
May 6, 2010
- PROJECT H3 – Housing the Homeless | Video
- In late April, about 160 volunteers scoured the streets of Phoenix, Glendale and Mesa in search of the Valley’s homeless. It’s part of Project H3, a national effort to place the most medically vulnerable homeless people into homes. Learn more about the project from Mattie Lord, State Homeless Coordinator for the Arizona Department of Economic Security; Michael Shore, President and CEO of HOM, Inc.; and Brad Bridwell, the Homeless Veterans Coordinator for the Arizona Department of Veterans Services.
March 29, 2007
- Lottery funds for Homeless
- A bill is progressing through the state legislature that would use lottery funds to help the homeless. Representative Robert Meza will talk about the bill.
November 29, 2006
- Regional School District Woes
- Former State Schools Superintendent Lisa Graham Keegan talks about the current problems the District is having dealing with the Sandra Dowling fallout and the future of the Pappas Schools For the Homeless.
November 28, 2005
- Homeless Shelter
- Join HORIZON for a look at the new 14-acre campus of the Central Arizona Shelter Service. CASS is one of several agencies represented at the centralized campus servicing the homeless.
November 14, 2005
- National Hunger and Homelessness Week
- You might be shocked to find out what happened when Phoenix City Councilman Greg Stanton posed as a homeless person to try and better understand the plight of homelessness in the Valley. HORIZON marks National Hunger and Homelessness Week with a series of conversations with Stanton, Ginny Hildebrand, Executive Director of The Association of Arizona Food Banks and Bob Evans, Executive Director of United Food Bank about what we can all do to stem the tide of poverty and homelessness in our city.