Search Results for: forest
April 15, 2014
- Around Arizona: Forest Thinning Report | Video
- We tell you about a new report on forest thinning. The Nature Conservancy and Arizona State University have teamed up on the report that shows how to create a sustainable, economically viable method for thinning small diameter trees. Dan O’Neill, general manager of S-3, a consulting service offered by ASU’s Walton Sustainability Solutions Initiatives, and Patrick Graham, state director of the Nature Conservancy in Arizona, talk about the report.
June 5, 2012
- Forest Restoration Contract | Video
- Navajo County Supervisor David Tenney shares his concerns about a major forest-thinning contract that was recently awarded to Pioneer Forest Products by the U.S. Forest Service.
May 22, 2012
- Focus on Sustainability: Forest Management | Video
- The number and intensity of wildfires raging across Arizona has a lot to do with the United States’ forest management policies. We’ll examine some of those policies, and efforts to reform them, with Diane Vosick of NAU’s Ecological Restoration Institute, Dr. Mary Lata of the U.S. Forest Service, and fire history expert Stephen Pyne of ASU’s School of Life Sciences.
May 14, 2012
- Arizona Wildfire Update | Video
- Helen Graham, Deputy Fire Staff Officer for the Tonto National Forest, provides an update on Arizona’s current wildfires and a forecast for the summer fire season.
November 22, 2011
- Arizona Wilderness Coalition | Video
- Sam Frank, Central Arizona Director of the Wilderness Coalition of Arizona talks about the group’s Wilderness Stewards Program a partnership with the U.S. Forest Service to maintain, protect and restore wilderness areas.
June 21, 2011
- Arizona Forest Restoration Products | Video
- Pascal Berlioux, the president and CEO of Arizona Forest Restoration Products, talks about his company’s business model that he says makes it profitable for companies to remove small diameter trees that clog Arizona’s forests creating a severe fire danger.
June 20, 2011
- Congressman Paul Gosar | Video
- The Arizona Congressman discusses the Wallow Fire, the Four Forest Restoration Initiative and a land exchange bill for a Resolution Copper mine near Superior, Ariz.
June 15, 2011
June 13, 2011
- Forest Health | Video
- Experts say Arizona’s catastrophic wildfires are the result of unhealthy, unnaturally dense forests that are the product of America’s forest management policies. The Four Forest Restoration Initiative (4FRI) is an effort to create healthier ecosystems on parts of four Arizona forests. Learn about the challenges facing 4FRI from stakeholders Wally Covington, Regents’ professor of Forest Ecology and executive director of the Ecological Restoration Institute at Northern Arizona University; Henry Provencio of the U.S. Forest Service; Ethan Aumack of the Grand Canyon Trust and a representative of the Center for Biological Diversity.
July 12, 2007
- Fire Update
- several forest fires are burning throughout our state. Kirk Rowdabaugh of the Arizona State Land Department will give us an update.
February 15, 2006
- Fire Season
- As Arizona continues to cope with a lengthy dry spell, northern region emergency crews have started combating forest brush fires. Michael Grant talks with Stephen Pyne, Regent Professor of ASU School of Life Sciences, about the Arizona drought, its effects, and the potential increased cost.
September 26, 2005
- Fire Prevention
- Find out what measures the Payson Ranger District is taking to battle forest fires.
June 14, 2005
- Fires!, A HORIZON Special Edition
- This special edition of HORIZON examines the history of fire management, the politics, and the state of desert and forest environments.
May 25, 2005
April 15, 2005
- Journalists Roundtable
- Governor Janet Napolitano surprised some lawmakers Thursday when she vetoed a forest health bill. The State senate made changes to a proposed liquor bill that would block any new drive-through lanes at liquor stores and would prohibit tasting samples from being given out at stores. And because of soaring gas prices, Governor Napolitano wants the EPA to give Arizona a waiver on the use of summertime fuel.