Search Results for: ex lawmaker
February 12, 2013
- Mental Health First Aid | Video
- In light of recent gun violence, an Arizona lawmaker is introducing a bill to help render mental health first aid to those in need. Representative Victoria Steele will discuss her bill with Barbara DiClemente, a Mental Health First Aid Specialist from First Presbyterian, a behavioral health organization.
June 25, 2012
- U.S. Supreme Court Ruling: SB 1070 - Political | Video
- ASU law professors Paul Bender and Carissa Hessick and immigration attorney Regina Jefferies provide legal analysis of the Supreme Court ruling on SB 1070. Plus, State Representative John Kavanagh and former state lawmakers/political consultant John Loredo talk about the opinion and the politics of enforcing SB 1070 moving forward.
April 16, 2012
- Scandalous Politicians | Video
- In recent months a startling number of Arizona’s elected officials have been the subject of ethics complaints and criminal investigations. Is this an unfortunate coincidence or a culture of corruption? We’ll examine the issue.
March 22, 2012
- Ex-lawmaker’s Legal Troubles | Video
- Former State lawmaker Richard Miranda resigned from the legislature in February citing health and family reasons. Since then, he has pleaded guilty to charges of fraud and tax evasion. Learn about the details of the story from Arizona Guardian reporter Dennis Welch.
October 27, 2010
- 14th Amendment | Video
- A state lawmaker would like to see the end of automatic citizenship for virtually everyone born in the United States, as granted by the 14th amendment. Arizona State University Law Professor Andy Hessick talks about the 14th amendment and the possibility of changing it.
October 14, 2010
- Mesa Proposition 420 | Video
- Mesa voters will decide whether to allow the city to raise hotel taxes and use other funds to build a new facility for the Chicago Cubs. Mark Killian, former lawmaker and head of the Department of Revenue, and Bob Kammrath of the Mesa Taxpayer’s Alliance will debate Proposition 420, which will be on the ballot in Mesa this November.
June 24, 2010
- Ballot Measure Descriptions | Video
- This week, state lawmakers adopt the official Legislative Council descriptions of ballot measures that will appear in November’s general election publicity pamphlet. Longtime state lawmaker Pete Rios explains the process and politics involved in coming up with impartial analyses of the ballot measures.
January 11, 2010
- State of the State | Video
- A special hour-long HORIZON featuring Governor Jan Brewer’s State of the State Address in its entirety followed by commentary from political analyst Stan Barnes and former lawmaker and Pinal County Supervisor Pete Rios.
September 24, 2008
- Proposition 200: Payday Loan Reform Act | Video
- Arizona's law that allows payday loan companies to operate is set to terminate on July 1, 2010. Prop 200 repeals that termination date, allowing payday loans to continue indefinitely. The proposition also makes various changes to how payday loan companies may do business. Former state lawmaker Stan Barnes (�Yes on 200�) and an opponent of the proposition debate its merits.
August 11, 2008
- Legislature | Video
- We review and examine some of the issues that have arisen since the end of the legislative session. Barrett Marson, House GOP spokesman and John Loredo, a political consultant from Tequida and Gutierrez are our guests.
- small Town Challenges: Payson Water | Video
- We begin a four-part series looking at specific challenges Arizona's small towns face. Payson, like many other state communities, must ensure an adequate water supply for its residents. A recent deal with SRP has allowed Payson to pursue a sustainable economy.
- CFL Disposal | Video
- A program created by Waste Management will help you dispose of those CFL lightbulbs properly.
- Mickey Edwards | Video
- HORIZON interviews the former Oklahoma Republican Congressman and co-founder of the conservative think-tank, the Heritage Foundation.
September 12, 2007
May 2, 2007
- state Lawmaker/Soldier
- We talk with Arizona State Representative Jonathan Paton of Tucson about war, and his recent service as an Army Intelligence Officer in Iraq.
March 22, 2007
- Employer Sanctions
- A bill has been passed by the Arizona House and is on its way to the Senate to impose sanctions on employers who knowingly hire illegal aliens. The bill is opposed by several chambers of commerce. A state lawmaker and a representative from the Arizona Chamber of Commerce will discuss the bill.
August 24, 2005
June 23, 2005
- Arizona's Border Crisis: A HORIZON Specia
- Illegal immigration has become the current hot political issue. Hear from political analysts Bob Robb and Alfredo Gutierrez about how the issue of immigration affects political decisions and how it will become one of the biggest issues of the 2006 state elections.
- llegal Immigration Solutions
- Potential solutions to the illegal immigration problem range from shutting down the border to eliminating it altogether. Explore innovative solutions and find out from Senator Jon Kyl about two bills being proposed in Congress for guest worker programs.
April 28, 2005
- Nursing shortage
- There's a nursing shortage in Arizona. One state lawmaker has a bill that would help ease that by helping to educate more nurses.
March 24, 2005
- Budget Showdown
- The Clean Elections Commission orders a lawmaker to quit for breaking the law on campaign spending. It's back to the drawing board as the governor vetoes most of the state budget handed to her by Republican lawmakers.
January 18, 2005
- How Arizona Compares
- A new report by ASU's Morrison Institute compares how Arizona stacks up to other states in several quality of life areas. We'll take a look at some of the statistics and what they mean.
- Federal Sentencing Guidelines
- The Supreme Court throws out the way federal judges determine sentences. ASU law professor Paul Bender talks about last week's rulings and its implications.