Search Results for: emissions
May 7, 2013
- Focus on Sustainability: Phoenix Cool Roofs | Video
- The city of Phoenix has started a project to paint 70,000 square feet of rooftops white to cut energy costs and greenhouse gas emissions. Over the next year, an army of volunteers will paint rooftops at community centers, fire stations and housing communities as part of a $100,000 service grant from Bloomberg Philanthropies. Cynthia Aguilar, of the Phoenix Manager's Office, will talk about the Cool Roofs project.
June 21, 2011
- Clean Car Program | Video
- Clean air advocates respond to proposed changes to rules that govern vehicle emissions in Arizona.
January 4, 2011
- Greenhouse Gas Regulation | Video
- The start of a new year finds the Environmental Protection Agency taking over regulation of greenhouse gas emissions in parts of Arizona. The move was made after Arizona refused to provide a program of its own to deal with the gasses. Henry Darwin, the acting director of the Arizona Department of Environmental Quality, discusses the situation.
April 22, 2008
- Environmental Bill | Video
- We discuss an important environmental issue on Earth Day. HB2017 restricts implementation of programs to reduce greenhouse gas emissions in Arizona unless they are expressly authorized by federal law and consistent with federal law. We hear support and opposition to the measure.
April 23, 2007
- Arizona's Climate Change
- We begin our four-part series on climate change with a look at the politics of current environmental policy on global warming and emissions reduction. HORIZON examines the phenomenon of the film, An Inconvenient Truth and the work of former Vice President Al Gore on the subject. We talk about the role partisan politics plays in shaping environmental policy in the United States.
December 20, 2006
- Air Quality
- Cooler temperatures early this week gave us a break from the previous week’s bad air quality but that doesn’t mean we are clear of future sightings of the Valley's winter brown cloud. The layer of visible particulates that blankets the skyline during the winter season will surely be back. Arizona Department of Environmental Quality Director Steve Owens joins Horizon to talk about the region’s air quality as wells as ways to reduce particulate matter-producing emissions.