Search Results for: drug
May 16, 2012
- Alzheimer’s Prevention Drug Trial | Video
- The Banner Alzheimer’s Institute in Phoenix is involved in a groundbreaking clinical trial to test an Alzheimer’s prevention drug on people who are genetically likely to get the disease. Learn more about the trial from the Institute’s director Dr. Pierre Tariot.
September 30, 2010
- Pinal County Deputy Shooting | Video
- One week after Senate Bill 1070 was signed into law, a Pinal County sheriff’s deputy was shot while on patrol in the desert. He was shot, allegedly, by drug smugglers. However, questions have been raised about the validity of the shooting. Paul Rubin of the Phoenix New Times explains the latest developments in this story.
August 30, 2010
- Prop 203: Medical Marijuana | Video
- Voters will be deciding on a medical marijuana initiative this November. Proposition 203 would protect terminally or seriously ill patients from state prosecution for using limited amounts of marijuana on a doctor’s recommendation. The proposition contains many other provisions to regulate medical marijuana. Paul Charlton of Keep Arizona Drug Free and Joe Yuhas of the Arizona Medical Marijuana Policy Project will discuss the pros and cons of proposition 203.
August 9, 2010
- Arizona Supreme Court Justice Michael Ryan | Video
- Justice Michael Ryan recently retired from the state’s High Court after a judicial career that spans more than two decades. During that time, he presided over the criminal trial of former Governor Evan Mecham, the AzScam political corruption trial, and the Phoenix Suns drug case. Hear what Justice Ryan has to say about his career and the state of Arizona’s judiciary.
February 11, 2010
- Mexican Drug Cartels | Video
- Is Mexico on the verge of becoming a “narco-state”? Recent news about drug cartels dismantling local governments suggests they’re power is growing.
Dr. Llewellyn Howell, an Emeritus Professor of International Management at the Thunderbird School of Global Management, shares his thoughts about how to address the growing power of Mexico’s drug cartels.
May 19, 2009
- Border Violence | Video
- Guns heading south into Mexico and drugs coming north into the United States are key ingredients in a formula for violence at the Arizona-Mexico border. Federal agents from the Drug Enforcement Administration and the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives talk about what their agencies are doing to reduce the violence and criminal activities
April 15, 2008
- Crystal Darkness | Video
- Television stations across the state will participate in the simultaneous airing of the documentary Crystal Darkness. The film reveals the far-reaching problem of methamphetamine addiction. Sergeant Joel Tranter with the Phoenix Police Department joins us to talk about the documentary, the effects of meth use as well as the drug's relation to crime, and child abuse in Arizona.
March 1, 2007
- Copper Theft Bill
- Copper theft is becoming a bigger problem in Arizona as drug users sell the metal to get money for their fixes. Representative Jerry Weiers has sponsored a bill that aims to reduce the problem by requiring I.D. when selling copper and checks or money orders mailed to the seller instead of cash at time of sale. Weiers will talk about his bill.
September 14, 2006
- Proposition 301
- Current law states that people convicted for the first or second time for drug possession or use get probation rather than jail or prison time. Prop 301 would amend current law so that a person who is convicted for the first or second time of personal possession or use of meth can be sentenced to a term in jail or prison. The change in the law would allow judges to use a jail term as a condition of probation to force meth users to comply with court mandated drug rehab.
May 3, 2006
- Medicare Deadline
- The deadline for enrollment in new Medicare drug plans is May 15th. In a special edition of HORIZON, find out what seniors need to do if they haven't yet enrolled.
February 6, 2006
- Medicare Prescription Plan
- The new Medicare prescription drug plan got off to a rocky start. David Mitchell, State Director for AARP and Tom Betlach, Deputy Director for AHCCCS join us to discuss the problems and what you can do about them.
January 30, 2006
- This report on one of the most destructive drugs ever to affect society looks at law enforcement and the effects of meth use. Attorney General Terry Goddard joins HORIZON talk about efforts to curb the drug.
January 19, 2006
- Medicare Prescription Drug Plan
- David Mitchell, the Arizona State Director of the AARP, and Tom Betlach of the Arizona Health Care Cost Containment System join us to discuss recent problems with the new Medicare Prescription Drug Plan.
December 15, 2005
- Pharmaceutical Lawsuit
- Arizona Attorney General Terry Goddard will talk about his lawsuit against major drug companies for what he says are inflated prices.
November 17, 2005
- Medicare Prescription Drug Plan
- sign up has started for the new Medicare prescription drug program. But choosing a plan can be daunting. Lupe Solis of AARP and Heather Daniel of the Foundation for Senior Living explain how to best choose a plan and how to get more information.