Search Results for: debt
March 9, 2015
- Flex Loans Bill | Video
- A bill has been proposed that would allow financial institutions to offer “flex loans” to consumers, loans ranging from $500 to $3,000. Proponents say it will offer people with bad credit a chance to get small loans to help deal with unexpected bills. Opponents say the high-interest loans would be the return of “payday” loans that can trap consumers in debt. Representative J.D. Mesnard, the sponsor of the bill, will talk about the measure, along with Representative Debbie McCune Davis, who opposes the legislation.
October 17, 2013
- Political Impact of Washington Fight | Video
- President Obama has said there are no winners in the fight over the debt ceiling and government shutdown. However, the fight could impact upcoming elections. Arizona State University Pollster Bruce Merrill will talk about winners and losers from the drama in our nation’s capitol.
- Washington Deal/Debt Ceiling | Video
- How exactly did Congress achieve a deal on the debt ceiling and ending the shutdown, and what is the debt ceiling and why is it so important? Arizona State University Dean of Social Sciences Patrick Kenney will answer those questions.
October 16, 2013
- Debt Ceiling/Government Shutdown | Video
- Congress continues to work on a deal to avoid the deadline to raise the debt ceiling and end the government shutdown. Economists Brian Cary of Salt River Project and Alan Maguire of the Maguire Company will discuss the impacts of the political drama in Washington.
September 3, 2013
- Rep. Kyrsten Sinema | Video
- Arizona Democratic Representative Kyrsten Sinema will talk about congressional issues such as immigration reform, student loan debt and veterans’ needs.
July 25, 2013
- Law School Grads | Video
- Law schools are pumping out more graduates than can find good jobs and who are loaded down with student-loan debt. Arizona State University’s Sandra Day O’Connor College of Law has a partial solution. It plans to create an “Alumni Law Group” to give jobs to 30 law school graduates. ASU Law School Dean Doug Sylvester will discuss the program.
April 4, 2013
- Rep. Kyrsten Sinema | Video
- Rep. Kyrsten Sinema will appear on Arizona Horizon to discuss the latest issues facing congress, issues such as gun control and debt reduction.
January 17, 2013
- Fix the Debt | Video
- Arizona has joined Fix the Debt, a nonpartisan campaign to encourage our leaders in Washington, D.C. to reach a comprehensive agreement on reforms that will improve America’s fiscal health. Learn more about the campaign from members of the Fix the Debt Arizona Steering Committee, former Arizona Attorney General and new CAP Board member, Terry Goddard, and Glenn Hamer, President and CEO of the Arizona Chamber of Commerce and Industry.
April 11, 2012
- Debt Collection Bill | Video
- While creditors are supporting a bill (HB 2664) moving through the state legislature that deals with credit card debt, others are saying it’s a bad deal for consumers. Hear from attorneys on both sides of the issue.
November 28, 2011
- Debt Committee Failure | Video
- ASU Economist Dennis Hoffman discusses the failure of the congressional “super committee” to reach a deficit reduction deal and the impact on Arizona.
August 2, 2011
- Debt Ceiling and Politics | Video
- ASU Management Professor Gerry Keim of the W.P. Carey School of Business talks about the politics behind the contentious battle in Congress to raise the debt ceiling.
July 28, 2011
- U.S. Debt Ceiling | Video
- ASU economist Dennis Hoffman discusses what Arizonans might expect if Congress fails to raise the debt ceiling.
May 20, 2008
- Arizona's Ailing Economy | Video
- From mortgages to car loans to credit cards, many people are deep in debt because of our ailing economy. In part two of our series we look at the "credit crunch". Dr. Tony Sanders, ASU Professor of Finance and Real Estate for the W.P. Carey School of Business, joins HORIZON to talk about debt and credit and how it relates to the current economy.
How are the state and national economy affecting Arizona's job market? Joining us to talk about employment issues in Arizona are Department of Commerce Deputy Director Kent Ennis, a former Joint Legislative Budget Committee Senior Economist who has headed up the research division at Commerce, and Dennis Doby, Senior Director of Research Administration.
September 20, 2006
- Proposition 104
- Proposition 104 would change Arizona's constitution to allow voters to approve a higher debt level for public safety, law enforcement, fire and emergency facilities, and street and transportation facilities. Learn more about the measure we'll vote on this November.