Search Results for: courts
April 25, 2012
- Arizona v. United States: SB 1070 Supreme Court Arguments | Video
- ASU law professor Paul Bender offers his legal analysis of the U.S. Supreme Court Oral Arguments in Arizona v. United States. Governor Jan Brewer appealed the case to the High Court after lower courts prevented key parts of Arizona’s SB 1070 immigration law from taking effect.
July 19, 2011
May 26, 2011
- Arizona ArtBeat: Saving the Ice House | Video
- The Ice House, a unique art space and gallery in Phoenix’ warehouse district, is on the verge of closing due to financial challenges, but a group of local artists is trying to rescue the place. We’ll show you what they’re doing to help.
February 7, 2008
- Chief Justice McGregor | Video
- Arizona Supreme Court Chief Justice Ruth McGregor recently gave her state of the judiciary speech to the Arizona legislature. The Chief Justice will talk about issues regarding the judiciary, including attempts to get rid of the merit selection system for judges. She will also talk about a program the courts have to help people meet their mortgage payments.
June 14, 2007
- Proposition 100
- Last fall, voters approved proposition 100, which requires illegal immigrants accused of serious felonies to be held without bail. Critics charge that the courts are not enforcing the new law, and the state legislature is considering a bill that would lower the level of proof for holding an illegal immigrant accused of a serious felony without bail. Senator Linda Gray and Representative Ben Miranda discuss the measure.
February 12, 2007
- state Representative David Lujan talks about House Bill 2325, that says courts shall not grant legal custody of a child to a parent who has engaged in polygamy and will continue to engage in child bigamy or polygamy in the future. Lujan also plans to introduce a bill to provide $500,000 to help shelter women and children in Phoenix and Flagstaff after they have left the fundamentalist church. Joining him will be Flora Jessop, who escaped Warren Jeffs' polygamous community in Colorado City.
January 25, 2007
- state of Arizona Courts
- A look at the state of the courts in Arizona with Arizona Supreme Court Chief Justice Ruth McGregor.