Search Results for: competition
July 16, 2014
- Arizona Technology and Innovation: ASU EcoCAR 3 | Video
- Arizona State University is among 16 universities chosen out of 100 applicants to be in the Advanced Vehicle Technology Competition EcoCar 3 program. It’s a four-year contest and students at the ASU Polytechnic campus in Mesa will work on transforming a Chevrolet Camaro to run on alternative fuels. Abdel Mayyas, the Lead Faculty Advisor for the ASU-EcoCAR 3 project, will discuss his group’s mission.
February 19, 2014
- AZ Technology and Innovation: High School App Competition | Video
- Nearly 250 Arizona high school students recently participated in an app competition in Gilbert. The App Resource and Knowledge App League is in its second year, with students from all skill levels learning the process of developing a mobile application. The event is the official launch of SPARK App League, a three-month contest challenging students to build a mobile application for Gilbert Fire and Rescue. Ashish Amresh, an assistant professor at Arizona State University, will talk about the app competition.
February 12, 2014
- Renewable Energy Standards | Video
- The Arizona Corporation Commission has decided to take another look at renewable energy standards, which requires that 15% of energy generated in the state come from renewable sources by 2025. Thirty percent of that energy must come from small energy generation sources, mostly rooftop solar. Arizona Public Service Company has asked the commission to end that requirement because the method of counting those sources has been eliminated. Solar panel installers fear it’s an attempt to eliminate the competition on the part of APS. Amanda Ormond, managing director of the Western Grid Group and former director of the Arizona Energy Office, will discuss the possible rule changes.
September 23, 2013
- Raising Children in a Competitive Culture | Video
- Sociologist Hilary Levey Friedman has written a book titled “Playing to Win: Raising Children in a Competitive Culture.” It looks at the role of after-school competitive activities in future life success. Friedman’s book also examines gender roles in competitive activities. Friedman will talk about her book and concepts.
August 8, 2013
- Electric Deregulation | Video
- The Arizona Corporation Commission is looking into possibly deregulating the electrical industry, calling it “marketplace competition.” Deregulation proponent Stan Barnes of Copper State consulting and Chuck Coughlin of the Arizona Power Consumers Coalition, which is against deregulation, will discuss the issue.
July 11, 2013
- Arizona ArtBeat: Artist Eddie Mitchell | Video
- Phoenix-based painter and sculptor Eddie Mitchell is on the short list to be named to the 100 Painters of Tomorrow, a competition judged by art experts from all over the world. He was chosen for the short list from among 4,200 painters from around the world. The final 100 will be chosen by the end of the summer, and their work will be exhibited at London’s Institute of Contemporary Arts in 2014, and it will be published in a forthcoming book. Mitchell will talk about his art and his nomination.
January 3, 2013
- USASU International Piano Competition | Video
- Arizona State University is hosting the 6th Bosendorfer and Yamaha USASU International Piano Competitions on January 6-13, 2013. Competition founder and ASU Associate Professor of Piano, Dr. Baruch Meir, talks about some of the special features of this year’s competitions.
December 12, 2012
- AZ Technology & Innovation: Tallwave | Video
- Jeffrey Pruitt, CEO of local venture accelerator Tallwave, talks about a competition his firm is sponsoring for some of Arizona’s most promising start-up companies.
January 4, 2012
- "Five Communities Project" Winners | Video
- Dr. Lattie Coor, chairman and CEO of the Center for
the Future of Arizona, discusses the five winners of a CFA-sponsored
competition to make Arizona a better place to live and work.
September 13, 2011
- “Five Communities” Finalists | Video
- Dr. Lattie Coor, Chairman and CEO of the Center for the Future of Arizona, discusses the 10 finalists in a competition to make Arizona a better place to live and work.
May 2, 2011
- Redistricting: Online Mapping Tool | Video
- The Arizona Competitive Districts Coalition has launched an online mapping tool and a redistricting competition that lets the public try its hand at redrawing Arizona’s political boundaries. Learn more about it from co-chairs of the Coalition, Roberta Voss and Ken Clark.
August 16, 2010
- Race to the Top | Video
- Arizona is in the running to win nearly $250 million for public education in the federal Race to the Top competition. As one of 19 finalists, the state recently defended its application in Washington, D.C. Now, it waits to find out if it’s a winner. Eileen Klein, the Governor’s Chief of Staff, and Paul Koehler of WestEd discuss the state’s application.
April 5, 2010
- Race to the Top | Video
- Arizona didn’t exactly race to the top in its effort to win federal education funding in round one of the national “Race to the Top” grant competition. In fact, Arizona’s grant application was very near the bottom. Find out what went wrong, and what Arizona must do to become more competitive in round two.
September 14, 2009
- Environmental Excellence | Video
- A review of some of the 2009 Valley Forward Environmental Excellence Award winners with Valley Forward President, Diane Brossart and Jay Hicks, a landscape architect and planner who served as lead judge for the competition.