Search Results for: challenge
May 23, 2013
- Education Town Hall | Video
- The latest Arizona Town Hall dealt with higher education in Arizona. The percentage of Arizonans with college degrees remains below the national average, funding for higher education is declining, and access to postsecondary education remains a challenge for many. Panelists who attended the Arizona Town Hall on higher education will talk about solutions offered at the event.
August 23, 2012
July 25, 2012
- Arizona Abortion Law Hearing | Video
- A federal judge in Phoenix heard testimony Wednesday on a legal challenge to a new Arizona law, set to go into effect August 2nd, that bans abortions after 20 weeks. Capitol Media Services reporter Howard Fischer describes what was said during and after the hearing.
April 24, 2012
- Focus on Sustainability: Walton GIOS Grant | Video
- Rob Melnick, executive dean of ASU’s Global Institute of Sustainability, outlines how GIOS will use a $27 million investment from the Rob and Melani Walton Fund of the Walton Family Foundation to address sustainability challenges.
March 7, 2012
- Economic Growth: Start-Up America Policy Challenge | Video
- Jonathan Koppell, director of ASU’s School of Public Affairs and the dean of ASU’s College of Public Programs, explains how the university is teaming up with the White House on a national initiative to accelerate entrepreneurship.
November 30, 2011
- Arizona Counties: Financial Challenges | Video
- Navajo County Supervisor David Tenney, who also serves as President of the County Supervisors Association of Arizona, and Maricopa County Supervisor Andy Kunasek discuss the financial challenges facing Arizona’s 15 counties and their legislative priorities for 2012.
September 21, 2011
- Ninth Circuit Court Ruling on Ordinance Similar to SB 1070 | Video
- The Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals recently struck down a Redondo Beach, California anti-solicitation ordinance that’s very similar to provisions of Arizona’s Senate Bill 1070 that are currently in effect. ASU Law Professor Carissa Hessick shares her views on whether or not the ruling opens the door for a legal challenge on parts of SB 1070.
September 7, 2011
- Health Benefits for Same Sex Partners of State Employees | Video
- Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals judges upheld a lower court decision to block an Arizona law from taking effect that would have eliminated same sex health care benefits for domestic partners of state government employees. Dan Barr, the plaintiffs’ attorney in the legal challenge to the law discusses the case.
August 4, 2011
- Medicaid Enrollment Freeze Hearing | Video
- Arizona has capped enrollment for childless adults in the state’s Medicaid program known as AHCCCS. Meanwhile, a challenge to the enrollment freeze was heard this week in Superior court. Arizona Republic Reporter Mary K. Reinhart talks about what went on at the hearing.
July 19, 2011
March 28, 2011
- Clean Elections Case | Video
- The United States Supreme Court will hear oral arguments Monday in a challenge to Arizona’s Clean Elections law. The court will decide whether Clean Elections violates the First Amendment rights of privately-funded candidates because publicly-funded candidates get funds to match money spent by those candidates. Local attorney Dan Barr will discuss the case.
September 13, 2010
- English Learner Lawsuit | Video
- The legal challenge to Arizona’s program for educating English learners is back in federal district court in Tucson. Meanwhile, the U.S. Department of Education has issued a determination that parts of the program violate federal law. We’ll hear from Tim Hogan, the attorney representing plaintiffs’ in the ELL lawsuit, and Tom Horne, one of the defendants.
August 19, 2010
- Domestic Partner Benefits | Video
- The latest on the legal challenge to an Arizona law that denies state health benefits to domestic partners of state workers. Dan Barr, an attorney for the plaintiffs; and State Representative John Kavanagh discuss the case.
October 29, 2009
- State Land Department Self-funding Challenge | Video
- The State Land Department sells and leases State Trust Lands to raise money for public schools. Now, a new state law allows the Department to keep up to ten percent of those earnings to manage those lands. That’s illegal, according to the Arizona Center for Law in the Public Interest which is asking the Attorney General to stop those payments from continuing. Hear from former State Land Commissioner Mark Winkleman who helped establish the law and Arizona Education Association President John Wright who is supporting the legal challenge.
April 21, 2009
- Arizona Cases in Federal Court | Video
- ASU Law Professor talks about actions by the U.S. Supreme court on several cases that originated in Arizona, including a challenge to how the state funds education for English language learners. Bender also talks about a recent Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals ruling on Arizona’s private school scholarship tax credit program.
Ninth Circuit Decision
December 10, 2008
- Oral Arguments: School Vouchers | Video
- On Dec. 9, the Arizona Supreme Court heard oral arguments on a constitutional challenge to Arizona's school voucher programs for disabled and foster kids. HORIZON presents the highlights.
August 12, 2008
- small Town Challenges: Transportation | Video
- How do small towns handle the challenge of improving roads while maintaining their charm? The town of Sedona is working on doing just that with a huge transportation project through town. We talk with the Arizona Department of Transportation about different projects around the state.
September 12, 2006
- Grand Canyon Art
- The Grand Canyon is known as one of the most compelling places on earth and a symbol of the grandeur of American West. Capturing the scale and beauty of the Grand Canyon has been a creative challenge for artists since the mid 1800s. The Grand Canyon: From Dream to Icon is featured until next January at the Tucson Art Museum. Photographs and paintings from early to contemporary artists are featured.
February 14, 2006
- Pandemic Flu Plan
- Is Arizona prepared for possibly the greatest public health challenge of our time ---an influenza pandemic? The Arizona Department of Health Services has recently released an updated Influenza Pandemic Readiness Plan. Will Humble, Bureau Chief for the State Department Of Epidemiology & Disease Control joins Michael Grant for a discussion. For more information on the Readiness Plan go to www.azdhs.gov.