Search Results for: centennial
May 6, 2015
- Arizona ArtBeat: Contra Dancing | Video
- Contra Dancing is a traditional folk dance requiring a partner with roots in English Country and French dance styles. The Country Dance and Song Society Centennial recently conducted a tour of contra dancing. Linda Nieman of Phoenix Traditional Music and Dance, Quinn Rouston of the Prescott Chupacabras and Kent Gugler, the Chupacabras organizer, will talk about contra dancing in Arizona.
February 27, 2012
February 16, 2012
- Arizona Centennial: “Arizona: A History | Video
- A revised comprehensive book on Arizona History is being released on the state’s birthday. “Arizona: A History,” is a scholarly work on the Grand Canyon state’s history by Dr. Thomas Sheridan, a Professor of Anthropology at the University of Arizona. Dr. Sheridan will talk about his latest book.
February 14, 2012
February 13, 2012
- AZ Centennial: Images of Arizona | Video
- Horizon continues its celebration of Arizona's Centennial by showcasing fascinating historic images of Arizona from the private collection of Jeremy Rowe.
February 7, 2012
- Arizona Centennial: “Skirting Traditions” | Video
- “Skirting Traditions: Arizona Women Writers and Journalists 1912-2012”, is a book written by members of the Arizona Press Women. Co-editor Brenda Warneka will talk about the amazing women the book features. The book has been designated an official Arizona Centennial Legacy Project.
February 1, 2012
January 30, 2012
December 1, 2011
- Arizona ArtBeat: Bolo Ties | Video
- A look at the official state neckwear of Arizona with bolo tie aficionado Norman Sandfield. His collection of bolo ties is part of a new exhibit at the Heard Museum in Phoenix.
November 28, 2011
- Arizona Centennial: The Bolo Tie
- The bolo tie, Arizona’s official state neckwear since 1971, is featured in a new exhibit at the Heard Museum in Phoenix. Collector Norman Sandfried, who co-authored a book that accompanies the exhibit of American Indian-crafted ties, discusses the history and artistry of the bolo tie.
October 31, 2011
- Barry Goldwater, Mr. Conservative | Video
- Pollster Bruce Merrill and playwright Ben Tyler talk about Barry Goldwater and the November 1st performance of the play “Mr. Conservative, the story of Barry Goldwater”.
October 20, 2011
September 29, 2011
- Centennial Theatre Foundation | Video
- Organized to develop and fund new plays that focus on the Arizona experience, the Centennial Theatre Foundation’s first event is a staged reading by the cast of the play, The Wallace & Ladmo Show. Find out more about the project with CTF Executive Director Ben Tyler.
September 22, 2011
- 100 Years 100 Ranchers | Video
- Follow Scott Baxter as he photographs the Amado family at their ranch in southern Arizona on his way to photograph 100 ranchers whose families have been ranching in Arizona since 1912 or earlier.
September 14, 2011
September 1, 2011
- Arizona ArtBeat: 100 Years 100 Ranchers | Video
- Scott Baxter has spent much of the last decade driving across Arizona to photograph ranchers whose families have been ranching in Arizona since 1912 or earlier. Get a preview of this project that will be completed in time for Arizona’s Centennial celebration.
July 18, 2011
- AZ Centennial: Prescott Living History | Video
- The Prescott Regulators and Their Shady Ladies is hosting the 6th annual Whiskey Row Shootout July 22 & 23 in Prescott. The group’s president, Neil Thomas talks about the event and the group’s mission to share and preserve the history and culture of the Old West.
June 14, 2011
- Arizona Centennial: Vulture Mine | Video
- Discovered in 1863 by Henry Wickenburg, the Vulture Mine was Arizona’s most productive gold mine. Now, a group is trying to raise money to renovate the mine’s historic buildings. Bernadine McCollum and Penny Pietre, of the Vulture Mine Preservation and Restoration Association, discuss the mine and efforts to save its crumbling infrastructure.
May 16, 2011
- Arizona Centennial: Arizona Military Museum | Video
- Designated as an official Arizona Centennial Legacy Project, the Arizona Military Museum chronicles the military history of Arizona. Museum Director Joe Abodeely shares some of that history as he describes what the museum has to offer.
April 19, 2011
- Mining and Mineral Museum | Video
- As the Arizona Mining and Mineral Museum begins its transformation into a Centennial Museum, those affiliated with the mining museum share their concerns about the future of its extensive and valuable mineral collection.
April 18, 2011
- Arizona Centennial Museum | Video
- The latest on plans to transform the state’s Mining and Mineral Museum into a Centennial Museum from Anne Woosley, executive director of the Arizona Historical Society.
March 21, 2011
- Theodore Roosevelt Dam Centennial | Video
- For 100 years, Roosevelt Dam has provided Phoenix, and the rest of the Valley, with a reliable water supply making it possible for the desert region to grow and prosper. Salt River Project historian James LaBar shares some remarkable stories about the making of the dam.
February 14, 2011
- Countdown to Arizona’s Centennial | Video
- On Arizona’s 99th birthday, we’ll take a look at plans to celebrate its 100th as the Countdown to Arizona’s Centennial begins. Guests include Karen Churchard, Director of the Arizona Centennial Commission, and Catherine May, Vice President of the Arizona Historic Advisory Council.
June 28, 2010
- State Capitol Renewal | Video
- Today it functions mainly as a museum, but an effort is underway to put the original Arizona State Capitol building back into legislative service. Former Phoenix Mayor and Chairman of the Arizona Capitol Centennial Committe John Driggs and Phoenix Architect Don Ryden discuss the planning process that was recently approved by Legislative Council.
February 12, 2009
- Statehood Celebration | Video
- Arizona turns 97 on Feb. 14. We look at the Statehood Day activities taking place at the state capitol building and review the latest preparations for Arizona's centennial celebration in 2012.
April 19, 2007
- AZ Centennial Kickoff
- state lawmakers plan a kickoff to the Arizona Centennial Plan Thursday. Former Phoenix Mayor John Driggs, who is a member of the Arizona Historical Advisory Commission, will talk about the plan.
February 14, 2007
- Arizona Centennial Plan
- Arizona's Centennial is five years away. State officials are gearing up to commemorate Arizona's 100th birthday. Learn more about their plans.