Search Results for: agricultural
March 3, 2014
- Asian Citrus Psyllid | Video
- The Asian Citrus Psyllid has been found in Arizona. It’s a pest that causes citrus tree leaves to turn yellow and ruins the fruit of the tree. Although greening disease caused by the bug has not been found here, agricultural officials are worried about the damage it could do to our $37 million citrus industry. John Caravetta, assistant director of the Arizona Department of Agriculture, will talk about the citrus psyllid.
February 18, 2014
- Sustainability: Recovered Phosphorus | Video
- Phosphorus is a key ingredient in fertilizer used to grow our food, but the supply is finite and shortages could disrupt our food chain. Arizona State University professors James Elser and Bruce Rittmann have recommended a three-part solution to this looming crisis, which involves recovering phosphorus from agricultural and human waste. Elser and Rittman will discuss their proposal.
February 5, 2014
- Farm Bill | Video
- The U.S Senate passed a new farm bill. The Agricultural Act of 2014 will provide farmers and ranchers certainty for the coming year. Arizona Farm Bureau president Kevin Rogers will talk about what the bill means to Arizona farmers.
January 7, 2014
- Sustainability: Agritopia | Video
- Meet a Gilbert man who has created his own “urban farm” utopian community. Joe Johnston has created Agritopia in Gilbert, an agricultural utopia with houses that have front porches, plenty of walking space, a restaurant, and a 16-acre farm that provides fresh produce.
May 20, 2013
- Phosphorus | Video
- Phosphorus is getting harder to find, which makes it difficult to maintain current agricultural advances. The Phosphorus Sustainability Research Coordination Network, a global gathering of researchers and stakeholders, met in Washington, D.C. recently. Arizona State University researcher and RCN lead investigator James Elser was at the event, and will talk about phosphorus, a dwindling nutrient essential for food growth.