Search Results for: Schapira
January 14, 2013
- Governor’s 2013 State of the State Address | Video
- Arizona Horizon presents an hour-long special featuring Governor Jan Brewer’s 2013 State of the State Address followed by political analysis of the speech and the upcoming legislative session with former state legislators Stan Barnes, the founder and president of Copper State Consulting Group, and former state senator David Schapira.
January 9, 2013
- Adult Education | Video
- The East Valley Institute of Technology’s career training programs aren’t just for high school students. They’re also for adults making a career change or wanting to acquire skills that will help them compete in today’s competitive job market. EVIT’s Adult Education Consultant and State Senator David Schapira talks about the state of adult education in Arizona.
August 7, 2012
- VOTE 2012 Debate: CD9 Democratic Candidate Debate | Video
- Three candidates are competing in the Democratic primary election for Arizona’s new Ninth Congressional District. Meet two of those candidates, State Senator David Schapira and former director of the State Democratic Party, Andrei Cherny, as they debate the issues. The third candidate, Kyrsten Sinema, has chosen not to participate in the debate.
May 10, 2012
January 26, 2012
- Congressional District 9 Candidate | Video
- State Senator David Schapira, a Tempe Democrat who serves as Senate Minority Leader, discusses his candidacy for Arizona’s newly-drawn Congressional District 9.
December 14, 2011
- 2012 Legislative Priorities | Video
- State lawmakers will be back in session early next year. Senate President Steve Pierce, Senate Minority Leader David Schapira and House Minority Leader Chad Campbell will talk about legislative priorities for the upcoming legislative session.
November 11, 2011
November 2, 2011
- Senate Vote to Remove Colleen Mathis from the IRC | Video
- At the Governor’s request, the Arizona Senate voted to remove Colleen Mathis from the Independent Redistricting Commission on allegations of “gross misconduct”. Senate Majority Whip Steve Pierce and Senate Minority Leader David Schapira discuss the Senate’s decision.
March 21, 2011
- Arizona Senate Leadership | Video
- Senate President Russell Pearce and Senate Minority Leader David Schapira discuss the state budget and other legislation.
February 1, 2011
- Birthright Citizenship Bills | Video
- State Senators Ron Gould (R-Lake Havasu) and David Schapira (D-Tempe) discuss legislative efforts to recognize Arizona residents as citizens of the state only if they were born in the United States to at least one parent who is a U.S. citizen or legal permanent resident.
January 20, 2011
December 7, 2010
- Medicaid Cuts | Video
- Democratic state lawmakers held a press conference to urge Republican legislative leaders to restore cuts made to Arizona's Medicaid program. Representative David Schapira talks about the issue.
April 13, 2010
- State Spending Limits/Voter Protection | Video
- State lawmakers are working on a bill that would tie future state spending increases to population growth and inflation. They’re also considering sending measures to the ballot that would allow the state to spend money that’s currently off-limits and voter protected. Learn more about the legislation from Representative John Kavanagh, House Appropriations Chairman, and Representative David Schapira, Appropriations Committee member.
February 17, 2010
- Tuition Tax Credit Reform | Video
- State Representatives Rick Murphy and David Schapira debate legislation to reform Arizona’s private school tuition tax credit law.
August 20, 2009
- Tuition Tax Credits | Video
- How to improve Arizona's tuition tax credit law. A recent investigative series by the East Valley Tribune indicates the law is rife with abuse.
April 22, 2009
- Education Legislators | Video
- Members of the House Education Committee discuss the outlook for public education as legislators try to balance the 2010 state budget while facing a $3 billion dollar shortfall.
January 27, 2009
- Legislature A to Z: Education | Video
- With a $1.6 billion budget shortfall this year and a deficit as high as $3 billion in 2010, state lawmakers are considering cutting K-12 and higher education by as much as $1.5 billion over the next 18 months. Education Committee Chairman, Rep. Rich Crandall and Rep. David Schapira, a former teacher, talk about how the budget may affect education.
March 27, 2008
- No Child Left Behind | Video
- state lawmakers have a bill that would make Arizona the first state to opt out of No Child Left Behind. If the bill is successful, Arizona would lose $600 million dollars in federal education funds. State Representative David Schapira will be on to talk about his bill.