Search Results for: Brewer
May 21, 2013
- Arizona National Guard | Video
- Governor Jan Brewer asked for an investigation of alleged wrongdoing within the Arizona National Guard after a report by the Arizona Republic. The guard’s top officer has unveiled about a dozen reforms in response. Arizona Republic reporter Dennis Wagner will talk about the problems within the organization.
April 29, 2013
- Medicaid Expansion | Video
- Governor Jan Brewer’s plan to expand Medicaid is being met with resistance from Republican lawmakers. Failure to do anything could result in the loss of some current federal funding for Medicaid in the state. The Arizona Republic reporter Mary K. Reinhart will provide the details.
April 22, 2013
- Transparent Medical Pricing | Video
- Governor Jan Brewer vetoed a bill that would have required hospitals and other medical providers to list prices for common medical procedures. The Arizona Senate has revived the bill. Senator Nancy Barto, sponsor of the bill, will talk about her measure. Pete Wertheim, of the Arizona Hospital Association, will speak in opposition to the bill.
April 16, 2013
- Campaign Contribution Limits | Video
- Campaign contribution limits were increased tenfold in a bill just signed into law by Governor Jan Brewer. Sam Wercinski, executive director of the Arizona Advocacy Network, and Stan Barnes, of Copper State Consulting, will discuss the impacts of the increase in donations that can be given to candidates.
- CPS Funding | Video
- Governor Jan Brewer has proposed nearly $78 Million in new funding for Child Protective Services. Dana Naimark, President and Chief Executive Officer of Children’s Action Alliance, will discuss the CPS funding proposal.
March 14, 2013
- Medicaid Expansion Bill | Video
- Governor Jan Brewer has introduced a bill to expand Arizona’s health coverage for the poor to include 300,000 more people. Hear the pros and cons of the idea. Representative John Kavanagh will speak about the cons of the bill.
February 25, 2013
- Medicaid Expansion/Hospital Assessments | Video
- Governor Jan Brewer has proposed allowing the director of the state’s health care plan for the poor to assess a levy on hospitals to pay for an expansion of Medicaid in Arizona. Byron Schlomach of the Goldwater Institute and John Arnold, Governor Brewer’s Budget Director, will discuss the pros and cons of the idea.
February 11, 2013
- Sales Tax Revisions | Video
- Governor Jan Brewer will announce a sales tax simplification bill, hoping to fix what she calls the most complicated sales tax in the nation. Arizona State University Economist Dennis Hoffman will discuss the proposal.
January 14, 2013
- Governor’s 2013 State of the State Address | Video
- Arizona Horizon presents an hour-long special featuring Governor Jan Brewer’s 2013 State of the State Address followed by political analysis of the speech and the upcoming legislative session with former state legislators Stan Barnes, the founder and president of Copper State Consulting Group, and former state senator David Schapira.
November 19, 2012
November 15, 2012
- Arizona Health Insurance Exchange | Video
- Arizona Governor Jan Brewer must decide soon Arizona will establish a state-run health insurance exchange or let the federal government be in charge of providing that service to Arizona residents. It’s a key part of the Affordable Care Act, President Obama’s health-reform law. Suzanne Kinney, Executive Director of the Arizona Chamber Foundation, a research and education arm of the Arizona Chamber of Commerce and Industry, explains how a health insurance exchange works and what happens if Arizona decides not to operate its own exchange.
August 20, 2012
- Deferred Action Status | Video
- The U.S. government is now accepting applications for Deferred Action status from certain young illegal immigrants who were brought to America as children. Individuals who are granted Deferred Action status are protected from deportation for two years, and are eligible for employment authorization. Immigration attorney Regina Jefferies talks about the program and an executive order by Governor Jan Brewer denying driver licenses and other public benefits to Deferred Action grantees.
July 13, 2012
May 21, 2012
- Agreement in Lawsuit Over Services for the Seriously Mentally Ill | Video
- Governor Jan Brewer and plaintiffs in the 1981 Arnold v. Sarn lawsuit have signed a 2-year agreement that creates a framework for improving services for people who have serious mental illnesses. Dr. Laura Nelson, Director of the Division of Behavioral Health for the Arizona Department of Health Services, and plaintiffs’ attorney Anne Ronan discuss details of the agreement.
April 25, 2012
- Arizona v. United States: SB 1070 Supreme Court Arguments | Video
- ASU law professor Paul Bender offers his legal analysis of the U.S. Supreme Court Oral Arguments in Arizona v. United States. Governor Jan Brewer appealed the case to the High Court after lower courts prevented key parts of Arizona’s SB 1070 immigration law from taking effect.
January 17, 2012
January 9, 2012
- Governor’s State of the State Address | Video
- Arizona Horizon presents a hour-long special featuring Governor Jan Brewer’s 2012 State of the State Address, followed by political analysis of the speech and the upcoming legislative session by political consultants/former legislators Stan Barnes and John Loredo.
November 8, 2011
- IRC Chairwoman Ouster | Video
- Governor Brewer’s General Counsel Joe Sciarrotta, Jr. explains why the Governor removed Colleen Mathis from the Independent Redistricting Commission and the Governor’s position on an IRC lawsuit challenging Mathis’ ouster.
May 20, 2011
May 11, 2011
- SB 1070 Appeal | Video
- Dennis Burke, U.S. Attorney for the District of Arizona, discusses the decision by Governor Jan Brewer to ask United States Supreme Court to consider lifting an injunction that put key parts of SB 1070 on hold.
April 27, 2011
- Development Impact Fees | Video
- Governor Brewer signed a bill that regulates the impact fees cities charge home builders to help pay for growth-related infrastructure. Mesa Mayor Scott Smith and Spencer Kamps, Vice President of the Home Builders Association of Central Arizona, discuss the bill which represents a compromise between cities and developers.
January 26, 2011
- Economic Competitiveness | Video
- One of Governor Jan Brewer’s “Four Cornerstones of Reform” includes efforts to grow jobs by making Arizona more economically competitive. We’ll take a look at the proposed plan.
January 20, 2011
- Proposed Budget Cuts to Higher Education | Video
- Governor Brewer's plans to deal with the huge budget shortfall includes substantial cuts to higher education. Chairman of the Arizona Board of Regents Anne Mariucci and Arizona State University President Michael Crow talk about the proposed cuts.
January 19, 2011
- Governor’s Budget Proposal | Video
- House Appropriations Committee Chairman Rep. John Kavanagh (R-Fountain Hills) and Senator Kyrsten Sinema (D-Phoenix) discuss Governor Jan Brewer’s budget proposal.
January 18, 2011
- Budget Deficit | Video
- Arizona faces a budget deficit of about $2 billion over the next 18 months. Governor Brewer has released a plan to shrink the deficit. John Arnold, the Governor's Budget Director, discusses the plan.
January 10, 2011
- Governor Jan Brewer | Video
- On the opening day of the 50th Arizona Legislature, the Governor acknowledges the Tucson shootings by postponing her State of the State Address and replacing it with a speech reflective of the tragedy.
December 8, 2010
- Job Growth Plan | Video
- Governor Jan Brewer has announced a new job growth plan, and has named Don Cardon to head the new Arizona Commerce Authority, which replaces the commerce department. Cardon will talk about the plan and his job.
November 1, 2010
- SB 1070 Hearing Analysis | Video
- A U.S. District Judge in July blocked parts of the controversial Senate Bill 1070 immigration law from taking effect. The injunction was challenged by Governor Jan Brewer, and the 9th Circuit Court of Appeals will hear the case. Arizona State University Law Professor Carissa Hessick will discuss the hearing and the legal challenges to SB 1070.
October 18, 2010
- John Dougherty | Video
- John Dougherty is reporting, through social media, that reliable sources say that Governor Jan Brewer is seriously ill and might not be able to complete a second term in office. Dougherty talks about these claims.
September 1, 2010
June 15, 2010
- Clean Elections Debate: Candidates for Governor | Video
- A special hour-long edition of Horizon with the Republican candidates for governor. Find out where they stand on the issues. Invited to attend: Jan Brewer, Tom Gordon, Matthew Jette, Dean Martin, and Buz Mills.
May 20, 2010
- AZ Town Hall - Jobs and the Economy | Video
- Just days before members of the 96th Arizona Town Hall met in Tucson to develop ideas for growing jobs and improving Arizona’s economy, Governor Jan Brewer signed Senate Bill 1070 into law. Amid the ensuing drama and debate surrounding Arizona’s tough new immigration law, town hall participants drafted a report of recommendations for building a more economically stable Arizona. Find out what the recommendations say about immigration and the challenges facing rural Arizona. Guests include the following Arizona Town Hall participants: Mignonne Hollis, director of the Small Business Development Center for Cochise County in Sierra Vista; Andy Groseta, a rancher from Cottonwood; and Wayne Benesch a Yuma attorney.
April 27, 2010
- Governor Jan Brewer | Video
- The Governor talks about Arizona’s tough new immigration law, the budget, and her plans to create jobs and grow Arizona’s economy.
April 22, 2010
- Economic Outlook | Video
- Economic experts deliver their mid-year forecasts for the U.S. and Arizona at the annual Economic Outlook Luncheon sponsored by the Economic Club of Phoenix. Hear what they had to say.
April 20, 2010
- Immigration Bill | Video
- Arizona may soon have the toughest immigration laws in the country if Governor Jan Brewer allows SB 1070 to become law.
First we hear from an opponent of the bill Sheridan Bailey, President of Ironco Enterprises, a steel fabrication company who founded Arizona Employers for Immigration reform. Then we hear from Representative John Kavanagh, a prime sponsor of the legislation.
March 1, 2010
- Governor Jan Brewer | Video
- An interview with Arizona Governor Jan Brewer about the state budget, an upcoming election to temporarily increase the state sales tax, and a variety of other issues.
February 3, 2010
- Nuclear Power in Arizona
- President Obama and Governor Brewer are among those calling for a renewed commitment to nuclear energy. What is the future of nuclear power in Arizona? Guests include: Renz Jennings, former Arizona Corporation Commissioner, and
Keith Holbert, Ph.D., ASU School of Engineering.
January 28, 2010
- Mental Health Services | Video
- Arizona is under a court order to provide services for people with serious mental illnesses, as required by state law. But as part of her budget plan, Governor Jan Brewer wants to remove that law from the books and eliminate most non Title XIX (Medicaid) funding for 14,600 adults with serious mental illnesses. Attorneys Charles “Chick” Arnold and Anne Ronan discuss their concerns and possible repercussions of the Governor’s plan.
January 20, 2010
- Payday Loan Reform | Video
- The merits of House Bill 2161, which seeks to reform the payday loan industry, are debated.
January 19, 2010
- Governor Jan Brewer | Video
- Arizona Governor Jan Brewer discusses her budget recommendations and other priorities for the legislative session.
November 24, 2009
- Teacher Lawsuit | Video
- The Arizona Education Association has filed a special action with the Arizona Supreme Court against Governor Jan Brewer and the Arizona State Legislature over policy changes approved in special session that impact teacher’s salaries, contracts and their involvement in professional association activities. AEA President John Wright talks about the lawsuit.
October 22, 2009
- Mental Health Overhaul | Video
- Responding to a court order in the decades-old Arnold v. Sarn lawsuit, Governor Jan Brewer has filed a proposal in Maricopa County Superior Court to make structural changes to Arizona’s behavioral health care system. Hear what Dr. Laura Nelson, Acting Deputy Director for the Arizona Department of Health Services Division of Behavioral Health and Anne Ronan, an attorney representing Arnold v. Sarn plaintiffs have to say about the Governor’s plan.
October 20, 2009
- Governor Brewer | Video
- The state is still struggling to play its bills. Governor Jan Brewer will discuss the latest on the budget and more in an interview with Horizon's Ted Simons.
September 29, 2009
- Cronkite-Eight Poll | Video
- Find out what Arizonans think about President Obama, Governor Brewer, and health care reform in the latest Cronkite-Eight Poll. Poll Director Dr. Bruce Merrill and Associate Director Dr. Tara Blanc discuss the results.
September 23, 2009
- Private Prisons | Video
- Arizona is in a fiscal mess. To clean it up, the state will have to cut costs or raise revenue. Privatizing prisons might be a way to do both. Earlier this month, Governor Brewer signed House Bill 2010 which allows the state to start looking for a private company to operate one or more state prisons. Mike Duran, President of the Arizona Correctional Peace Officers' Association, and Ken Gilroy, Editor of "Privitization Watch" for the Reason Foundation, a non-profit think tank that advances free market principles and limited government, debate the idea of private prisons.
July 30, 2009
- Legislative Update | Video
- Arizona Capitol Times reporter Jim Small talks about the legislature’s latest budget breakdown. Governor Jan Brewer and Republican legislative leaders have agreed to a new budget plan, but they continue to struggle to find enough votes to pass it.
July 23, 2009
- Governor Jan Brewer | Video
- Ted Simons talks with Governor Jan Brewer about the current special session and the recently wrapped-up regular session of the Arizona State Legislature.
July 8, 2009
- Special Session | Video
- The budget passed by state lawmakers at the last minute has been shot down in part by Governor Jan Brewer. House Minority Leader Representative David Lujan and House Majority Leader John McComish talk about efforts to come up with a new budget plan.
June 23, 2009
June 16, 2009
- Budget Crisis | Video
- State lawmakers and the governor disagree on how to solve next year's budget and time is running out. Governor Jan Brewer is even talking about getting the Arizona Supreme Court to force lawmakers to give her a budget she plans to veto. Mary K. Reinhart of the Arizona Guardian will give us an update.
June 9, 2009
May 21, 2009
- Special Session: Corporate Tax Credits | Video
- Governor Jan Brewer called a special session to expand Arizona’s corporate tax credit law to benefit disabled and foster kids. Already, corporations that owe state income tax can choose to give some, or all, of that money to a school tuition organization which uses the money to help low income kids attend private and religious schools. The special session seeks to create a similar program for foster and disabled kids.
April 21, 2009
- Border Violence Hearing | Video
- Senator Joe Lieberman and Senator John McCain will be holding a Southern Border Violence conference in Phoenix. The conference will include Governor Jan Brewer, Arizona Attorney General Terry Goddard and others, and will focus on the increasing violence at the U.S-Mexican Border.
January 28, 2009
- Legislature A to Z: Initiative and Referendum Reform | Video
- Arizona's constitution gives legislative power to the people through the process of initiative and referendum. Find out why the Arizona Supreme Court, former Governor Janet Napolitano and Governor Jan Brewer (when she was secretary of state) have recently suggested a reformation of the initiative process.
January 7, 2009
- Secretary of State Jan Brewer | Video
- Arizona Secretary of State Jan Brewer will be elevated to the position of governor once Governor Janet Napolitano is confirmed as U. S. Secretary of Homeland Security. Brewer joins Ted Simons to talk about her transition to the 9th floor.
November 20, 2008
- The Next Arizona Governor? | Video
- Bob Robb, political columnist for The Arizona Republic, talks about reports that Governor Janet Napolitano may leave the state to join President-elect Barack Obama's new administration and the woman who would replace her as governor, Arizona Secretary of State Jan Brewer.
October 3, 2006
- secretary of State Debate
- secretary of State Republican incumbent Jan Brewer, Democrat Israel Torres and Libertarian Ernie Hancock debate the issues.