Search results for the category: Sports
December 11, 2014
- Coyotes Ownership Deal | Video
- A new ownership deal for the Arizona Coyotes could be slipping away. Mike Sunnucks of the Phoenix Business Journal will provide details.
November 17, 2014
- NCAA Final Four Selection | Video
- Phoenix has been named the host site for the 2017 NCAA Basketball Final Four Tournament. Dawn Rogers, Arizona State University’s senior associate athletic director and chair of the Phoenix Selection Committee and Mark Stanton, Deputy Director of the Arizona Office of Tourism, will discuss the impact of the selection.
September 15, 2014
- NCAA Final Four | Video
- Phoenix is among eight finalists to host the 2017-2020 NCAA Men’s Final Four basketball tournaments. Besides providing attention to the city, the events would also bring an economic benefit. NCAA officials will be visiting Phoenix later this month as they make their final decision. Tom Sadler, president and CEO of the Arizona Sports and Tourism Authority, will talk about the effort to get the Final Four in Phoenix.
April 1, 2014
- Arizona Diamondbacks | Video
- The Arizona Diamondbacks started their season in Australia, and are in full swing now. Diamondbacks president and CEO Derrick Hall will discuss the Diamondbacks new season.
February 25, 2014
- New ASU Athletic Director | Video
- Arizona State University has a new Athletic Director. Former NFL executive Ray Anderson was named the new AD earlier this year, and will talk about his new role and vision for ASU athletics.
- Cactus League | Video
- Cactus League spring training games start February 26. Cactus League President Mark Coronado will preview the season, and talk about the history and impact of the league.
February 13, 2014
- New Cubs Stadium | Video
- The new Cubs Stadium for spring training officially opened yesterday. Mesa Mayor Scott Smith will talk about the new facility.
January 30, 2014
- Golf Course Design | Video
- With the 2014 Waste Management Phoenix Open golf tournament in full swing, we take a look at the art of golf course design with Forrest Richardson, a golf course architect.
December 18, 2013
- 2016 College Football Championship Game | Video
- The Fiesta Bowl has been awarded the 2016 College Football Championship Game. The game will be played at the University of Phoenix Stadium in Glendale. Robert Shelton, executive director for the Fiesta Bowl, will talk about the acquisition.
November 26, 2013
- Cactus League Hall of Fame | Video
- For six years, local Public Affairs consultant Robert Johnson has been searching for a home for a Cactus League Hall of Fame. Johnson now has fresh renderings of his proposed facility, and hopes to have a site selected by the end of next year. Johnson will talk about his efforts to create a Cactus League Hall of Fame.
September 23, 2013
- Raising Children in a Competitive Culture | Video
- Sociologist Hilary Levey Friedman has written a book titled “Playing to Win: Raising Children in a Competitive Culture.” It looks at the role of after-school competitive activities in future life success. Friedman’s book also examines gender roles in competitive activities. Friedman will talk about her book and concepts.
July 3, 2013
- Coyotes Vote | Video
- The Glendale City Council is expected to take a crucial vote concerning the future of the Phoenix Coyotes in the city Tuesday, July 2. Arizona Republic reporter Paul Giblin will talk about the vote.
June 20, 2013
- Coyotes Update | Video
- The Glendale City Council got a look Tuesday at a plan Tuesday to keep the Phoenix Coyotes in the city and hire an arena manager. Arizona Republic Reporter Paul Giblin will give us an update.
May 29, 2013
- Phoenix Coyotes Update | Video
- City of Glendale officials met Tuesday with National Hockey League Commissioner Gary Bettman and executives from a Canadian business group that is interested in buying the Phoenix Coyotes. Arizona Republic Reporter Paul Giblin with give us an update.
May 6, 2013
- Coyotes Arena Costs | Video
- A new report reveals the cost to operate the Coyotes Home Arena, Jobbing.Com Arena, is millions less than the Glendale City Council was willing to pay potential operators. Paul Giblin of the Arizona Republic tells us more.
March 18, 2013
- Arizona Diamondbacks | Video
- The Arizona Diamondbacks regular season gets underway soon. Diamondbacks President Derrick Hall will give us a preview of the season.
February 21, 2013
- Cactus League | Video
- Every year, the Cactus League allows Arizona residents to get a close-up view of their favorite baseball stars and pumps millions of dollars into the economy from visitors who come to see the teams play. Cactus League President Mark Coronado will tell us more about the Cactus League, which gets underway this week.
February 4, 2013
- Phoenix Coyotes update | Video
- Glendale Mayor Jerry Weiers will discuss the future of the Phoenix Coyotes staying in Glendale, now that a deal to keep the team there has fallen through.
January 31, 2013
- Arizona ArtBeat: Golf Course Design | Video
- With the 2013 Waste Management Phoenix Open golf tournament in full swing, we take a look at the art of golf course design with Forrest Richardson, a golf course architect.
January 29, 2013
- Phoenix Coyotes update | Video
- A group looking to buy the Phoenix Coyotes and keep the team in Glendale has until the end of January to close the deal. Mike Sunnucks, with the Phoenix Business Journal, gives an update on the deal.
November 8, 2012
- Social Impact of Title-9 | Video
- Title-9 celebrates its 40th anniversary. Head coach of ASU's Women's Basketball Team Charli Turner Thorne, talks about the landmark legislation. Video clip of Ann Meyers Drysdale, a member of the Basketball Hall of Fame, speaks about Title-9.
October 15, 2012
- Arizona Fall League 20th Anniversary | Video
- For the past 20 years, every major league baseball team has sent its top prospects to Arizona for further player development in the Arizona Fall League. Learn more about the history and purpose of the league from the longtime baseball executive who’s credited as its architect, Roland Hemond. In 2011, Hemond was awarded the Buck O’Neil Lifetime Achievement Award by the National Baseball Hall of Fame and Museum’s Board of Directors.
July 17, 2012
- Phoenix Coyotes Arena Deal Referendum | Video
- Glendale City Attorney Craig Tindall explains why the city rejected petitions calling for a referendum on the City’s arena lease deal with a potential buyer of the Phoenix Coyotes, and where the City goes from here.
June 27, 2012
- College Football Playoffs | Video
- Fiesta Bowl Executive Director Robert Shelton talks about the new college football playoff system that’s set to begin in 2014 and what it could mean for the Fiesta Bowl.
- Glendale & the Phoenix Coyotes Deal | Video
- Joyce Clark, a member of the Glendale City Council, discusses the City’s arena agreement with a potential buyer of the Phoenix Coyotes.
June 11, 2012
- Glendale-Coyotes Deal | Video
- The City of Glendale is expected to approve a 20-year, $300 Million deal to keep the Coyotes in Glendale. Mike Sunnucks of the Phoenix Business Journal explains the details.
May 8, 2012
- Selling the Phoenix Coyotes | Video
- The NHL has announced a preliminary agreement to sell the Phoenix Coyotes to a group of buyers led by former San Jose Sharks CEO Greg Jamison. Phoenix Business Journal reporter Mike Sunnucks explains what must happen to formalize the agreement.
May 1, 2012
- BCS Championship | Video
- The BCS has recommended a four-team championship series to replace the current controversial system to determine a champion in college football. Robert Shelton, Executive Director of the Fiesta Bowl, will talk about the new plan and how the Fiesta Bowl may be involved.
April 23, 2012
- Phoenix Coyotes Sale Imminent? | Video
- As the Phoenix Coyotes try to advance in the Stanley Cup Playoffs, an ownership group is attempting to buy the team from the NHL and keep it in Arizona. Mike Sunnucks of the Phoenix Business Journal has the latest developments in this story.
April 3, 2012
- Arizona Diamondbacks New Season | Video
- Diamondbacks President and CEO Derrick Hall talks about the home team and their surprising success from last year, the high expectations for the upcoming season and the record-breaking numbers of last month's Spring Training.
March 29, 2012
March 1, 2012
- Society for American Baseball Research | Video
- The Society for American Baseball Research (SABR) moved its headquarters from Cleveland to Phoenix in 2011. SABR Executive Director Marc Appleman explains why SABR is a good fit in Arizona.
- Cactus League History | Video
- Susie Steckner, author of the new book Cactus League: Spring Training, and Cactus League expert Rodney Johnson talk about the rich history of Arizona’s Cactus League.
February 28, 2012
- Fast Pitch Philanthropy | Video
- On March 6th Social Venture Partners is holding its "2nd Annual Fast Pitch Social Innovation Expo." It’s the culmination of a seven-week training and mentoring program for innovative nonprofits that are effecting social change. Finalists have three minutes to make a “pitch” that could earn their nonprofit $100,000 in funding. SVP Executive Director Terri Wogan talks about the program.
February 22, 2012
- AZ Technology and Innovation: The Science of Baseball | Video
- The Arizona SciTech Festival has over 250 events statewide. One upcoming event takes a look at the science of baseball. Arizona State University Psychology Professor Michael McBeath will talk about the SciTech event, “Spring Training Festival: The Mad Science of Baseball.”
January 4, 2012
- Fiesta Bowl
- Oklahoma State’s thrilling overtime victory over Stanford was just what the Fiesta Bowl needed as the organization continues to repair its reputation that was tarnished by scandal. The Fiesta Bowl’s new executive director Robert Shelton explains what the organization is doing to win the public’s trust.
October 25, 2011
- Arizona Fall League | Video
- Now in its 20th season, the Arizona Fall League has been preparing Major League Baseball’s hottest minor league prospects to move up to the big leagues. AFL Executive Director Steve Cobb talks about the league’s first two decades.