Search results for the category: Vote 2010
December 9, 2010
- Prop 112 Recount: Arizona Signature Filing | Video
- Arizona’s Proposition 112 lost by only 128 votes. That narrow margin triggered an automatic recount that’s happening now. Secretary of State Ken Bennett talks about the process and what happens if the recount changes the outcome of the election.
November 3, 2010
November 2, 2010
- 8-10pm - Vote 2010: LIVE ELECTION COVERAGE | Video
- Horizon’s Vote 2010 coverage culminates on election night with two full hours of live, up-to-the-minute, election returns and in-depth analysis. Our team of election night analysts includes former political and public affairs consultant Christa Severns; Arizona Republic columnist Bob Robb; Bob Grossfeld, president of The Media Guys; and Stan Barnes, president of Copper State Consulting.
October 26, 2010
- Election Preparations | Video
- Maricopa County Recorder Helen Purcell talks about early voting and how to make sure your vote gets counted.
- Election | Video
- With the general election just one week away, ASU pollster Bruce Merrill discusses late-inning election strategies.
October 21, 2010
October 20, 2010
- Congressional District 5 Debate | Video
- A half-hour debate with the candidates for U.S. Representative in Congress – District 5. Scheduled to appear: Congressman Harry Mitchell (D), David Schweikert (R), and Nick Coons (L).
October 14, 2010
- Mesa Proposition 420 | Video
- Mesa voters will decide whether to allow the city to raise hotel taxes and use other funds to build a new facility for the Chicago Cubs. Mark Killian, former lawmaker and head of the Department of Revenue, and Bob Kammrath of the Mesa Taxpayer’s Alliance will debate Proposition 420, which will be on the ballot in Mesa this November.
October 13, 2010
- Congressional District 3 Debate | Video
- A half hour debate between the candidates for U.S. Representative in Congress – District 3. Scheduled to appear: Ben Quayle (R), Jon Hulburd (D), and Michael Shoen (L).
October 12, 2010
October 6, 2010
October 4, 2010
September 29, 2010
September 27, 2010
- Judicial Performance Reviews | Video
- The Arizona Commission on Judicial Performance Review publishes a report that ranks judges’ performances. Roberta Voss, chair of the commission, will explain the reviews and how they can assist voters in the November election.
September 23, 2010
- Prop 111: Lieutenant Governor | Video
- A constitutional amendment that would rename the office of secretary of state as the office of attorney general and prescribe a new process for electing the Lt. Governor. Tom Simplot, representing Government for Arizona’s 2nd Century will speak in favor of the proposition; Joe Sigg of the Arizona Farm Bureau speaks in opposition.
- City of Mesa Prop 420: Spring Training Stadium | Video
- Chicago Cubs Chairman Tom Ricketts discusses Prop 420, a measure that asks city voters to approve public expenditures for a Cactus League Spring Training stadium and related facilities.
September 22, 2010
September 21, 2010
- Proposition 112: Initiative Petitions | Video
- Proposition 112 would amend the Arizona Constitution to require that initiative petitions be filed at least six months before the date of the election. Right now, the deadline is at least four months before the date of the election. State Representative Chad Campbell will explain Proposition 112.
September 20, 2010
- Prop 107: Banning Affirmative Action Programs | Video
- Prop 107 is debated. It’s a measure, referred to the ballot by the legislature, that bans affirmative action programs in the operation of public employment, public education and public contracting. Guests include Representative Steve Montenegro who sponsored and is for the measure, and Representative Kyrsten Sinema who’s opposed to it.
- Public Opinion Polls | Video
- Pollsters are the soothsayers of the election season. Arizona State University Pollster Dr. Bruce Merrill tells us all we need to know about polling in this election season.
September 16, 2010
- Tea Party Movement | Video
- Professor Richard Herrera, of ASU’s School of Politics and Global Studies discusses the Tea Party movement.
- Preposition 110: State Trust Land Exchanges | Video
- State Land Commissioner Maria Baier explains Proposition 110, a proposed constitutional amendment that establishes a process for exchanging state trust lands for public lands.
September 15, 2010
September 13, 2010
- Prop 301: Land Conservation Fund | Video
- The merits of Prop 301 are debated. It’s a measure, referred to the ballot by the legislature, that transfers the balance of money in the Land Conservation Fund to the state general fund to help balance the budget.
September 8, 2010
September 7, 2010
- Prop 109: Hunting and Fishing | Video
- The pros and cons of Proposition 109, a measure on the general election ballot in November that amends the state constitution to add a section about hunting, fishing and harvesting wildlife.
September 1, 2010
August 31, 2010
- Prop 106: Health Care Freedom | Video
- The pros and cons of Proposition 106, a measure on the general election ballot in November that amends the state constitution in an effort to ensure that no law shall infringe on a person’s freedom to choose the health insurance/system of their choice.
August 30, 2010
- Prop 203: Medical Marijuana | Video
- Voters will be deciding on a medical marijuana initiative this November. Proposition 203 would protect terminally or seriously ill patients from state prosecution for using limited amounts of marijuana on a doctor’s recommendation. The proposition contains many other provisions to regulate medical marijuana. Paul Charlton of Keep Arizona Drug Free and Joe Yuhas of the Arizona Medical Marijuana Policy Project will discuss the pros and cons of proposition 203.
August 26, 2010
- Processing Ballots | Video
- With key primary election races too close to call, election workers continue to process and tabulate thousands of early and provisional ballots. Maricopa County Recorder Helen Purcell discusses the painstaking process.
August 25, 2010
- Post Election Analysis | Video
- An examination of news and results from the August 24th primary elections with Arizona Republic editorial columnist Bob Robb and Bob Grossfeld president of the Media Guys and publisher of the Arizona Guardian.
August 24, 2010
- Independent Voters | Video
- ASU pollster Dr. Bruce Merrill discusses the growing number of independent voters in Arizona and how they impact elections.
August 17, 2010
- Election Preparations | Video
- With the primary elections one week away, Maricopa County Recorder Helen Purcell has the latest on polling places and ensuring that your early ballot is counted.
- Key Primary Races | Video
- The primary elections will tell us a lot about the tone and direction of the next state legislature. The Arizona Republic’s Mary Jo Pitzl talks about some of the key races.
July 27, 2010
July 26, 2010
July 21, 2010
July 20, 2010
July 19, 2010
- Backfiring Facts | Video
- Research has shown that not only do facts not sway some people’s political opinions, they can actually backfire and cause a person to become more entrenched in their beliefs. Patrick Kenney, the Director of ASU’s School of Politics and Global Studies, will discuss how facts can backfire with regard to political beliefs.
July 15, 2010
- Prop 302 – First Things First | Video
- At the general election in November, Prop 302 will ask voters if they want to continue using tobacco taxes to fund early childhood development and health programs through the voter-approved program known as First Things First. Debating the proposition are Nadine Mathis Basha, a board member for First Things First; and Kevin McCarthy, President of the Arizona Tax Research Association.
July 13, 2010
June 30, 2010
June 29, 2010
June 24, 2010
- Ballot Measure Descriptions | Video
- This week, state lawmakers adopt the official Legislative Council descriptions of ballot measures that will appear in November’s general election publicity pamphlet. Longtime state lawmaker Pete Rios explains the process and politics involved in coming up with impartial analyses of the ballot measures.
June 23, 2010
June 22, 2010
June 17, 2010
- Candidate Funding Web site | Video
- The Arizona Secretary of State has updated its Web site to make it easier to track candidate spending and funding sources. Secretary of State Ken Bennett will demonstrate the Web site.
June 15, 2010
- Clean Elections Debate: Candidates for Governor | Video
- A special hour-long edition of Horizon with the Republican candidates for governor. Find out where they stand on the issues. Invited to attend: Jan Brewer, Tom Gordon, Matthew Jette, Dean Martin, and Buz Mills.
June 14, 2010
- Matching Funds Halted | Video
- The U.S. Supreme Court has suspended the distribution of matching funds during the 2010 election cycle. That means Arizona’s publicly-financed “Clean Elections” candidates will not get additional taxpayer dollars to match spending of their traditionally funded opponents. Hear from Nick Dranias, an attorney from the Goldwater Institute who challenged the constitutionality of “matching funds,” and the Executive Director of the Citizens Clean Elections Commission Todd Lang.
June 2, 2010
- State Primary Election | Video
- Arizona State University Professor Emeritus Bruce Merrill reviews the upcoming primary election for Governor, Attorney General and others.